Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Update on my first butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Definitely didn't sleep very well last night, but for good reason. I woke up at 2:30 to check Mr. Egg and everything was great with 225 dome and 101 meat. Woke up again at 5:30 with 230 dome and 143 meat. I decided to scale temp back slightly because I was trying to compromise between Mr. Elder's 195 and the 225-250 I have read from most eggsperts.[p]Awoke for good at 7:05 to see Mr. Egg at 186 and Polder 138...doh! Mild (very mild...hey, this isn't life or death) sets in so I start tweaking and worrying that the fire has gone out...feed the dog to get my mind off of it and still no change...get impatient and open the thing up...YES, we have life...she is dialed in to 231 but still haven't seen Polder react as I would like to get to 165 or so before increasing heat...[p]Daddy-O, I look forward to hearing about your adventure...Eagles by 6.

Comments

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Options
    LinkPhoto?GUID=2f5a788d-716b-66f9-6c11-13335c661a16&size=
    <p />biglabmaggie,
    I've been up and down between 200 and 240. I'm mostly down, which is good. It's been snowing and raining all night. I went out about 5 times. It smells GOOOOOOOD.[p]If this photo works, I'll post some more of my progress. This one should be during the overnight snow.

• Daddyo
    Options
    biglabmaggie,
    My dome temp settled in a few hours ago at 206 (finally some stability). My meat has been at 170 since I woke up a few hours ago. I don't know how long the plateau will last, but I think my timing will be good.[p]I'm mixing up some of Elder Wards sauces and side dishes now so I'm ready at game time. Heck, I may have enough fire left over for a dozen ABT's!

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Daddyo,[p]Interwsting picture. Is that a temperature probe goint into you egg where most of us have a dome thermometer?[p]Smokey
  • Daddyo
    Options
    Smokey,
    Yes. I just take out the dome thermo and put in the Redi-chek. You can see my dome thermo on the lower shelf waiting to go back in. I only use the Redi-chek for long cooks.

• Daddyo,
    It's 3:30 now and the "main guest" has been cooking now for 16 hours. Heat has been increased since hour 15 to about 290 after plateau was achieved at 165 for hours 12-15. [p]Polder indicates 178 and rising steadily...I figure I will reach 200 around 17 to 17.5 hours...I'm getting hungry...