Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet grilling help.....

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got the local butcher to cut me 4 - 12 oz filets and those things are 2.5 - 3" tall. I cook filets a lot but I've never had them this thick. I like to cook my steaks medium so do you think I need to butterfly them to keep from cooking the outsides too long to acheive this degree of doneness?[p]I usually sear on each side for 3-4 minutes at 700 and then shut both vents and let them dwell for 3-4 minutes and their usually a perfect medium but in the past the steaks were only 1.5 " thick.[p]Thanks.

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    TideJoe,[p]Bet ya don't have a meat themometer, do ya? :)[p]You need to get one. Cook by temp, not by time. You eliminate a lot of varibles that way.
  • disabledDK
    Options
    TideJoe,[p]Just did some filets last weekend that were the same size. Sear all sides of the filets at 800 to get a nice char-crust. Remove from egg and place on platter and set aside at room temp for appx 20min. Get egg to 350-400, put filets back on egg and finish to your taste. The filets will be medium from top to bottom. Enjoy, DK[p]

• Pakak,[p]I've got several meat thermometers but I don't trust any of them with my beloved filets. I have a good Redi-chek meat thermometer that is calibrated well but I always seem to over due them when cooking by a thermometer.[p]What internal temp do you suggest for a medium filet?

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    TideJoe,[p]The "traditional" temp for medium is 160° but there has been some discussion on this board that may be too high. Personally, I used to like my meat a bit more well done, so that always worked for me. With the egg, however, I've gotten to where I can tolerate my meat a bit pinker. I think it's because of the eveness of the cook, outside to inside. I'd probably pull it at about 155°. Cut it and see. Better to be a bit underdone than over.[p]BTW - I was discussing the TRex method on the chat board last night. IMO - one should pull steaks off at lower temps than traditionally accepted BECAUSE the meat continues to cook for awhile during the 20 miunte rest, then cools off. If you take the temp up to what the "normally" accepted temps for doneness, after letting the meat rest, you'll end up with steak that's overdone. That's my experience anyway. Any one else care to comment?
  • disabledDK
    Options
    TideJoe,[p]The wife and I just finished some perfect filets for dinner. Did exactly as my last post. The meat was a perfect medium for my wife and a perfect medium-rare for myself. We added some mushrooms for toppings on the steak, followed by a nice fresh Key West salad and dill potatoes. Stuffed! Going to watch a movie. Good night. DK :)

• Very important point. If you let the steaks sit they will cook. I sear for 1-2 minutes with egg going nuclear then shut the egg down for 4 minutes. Leaves 2-3" fillets medium rare. Using a thermometer -- take the steaks off at 135 for mr - 145 for m -- let then sit for 2-3 minutes then serve [p]