Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firebricks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a large BGE for Xmas, and really enjoying it. Am totally confused (even after reading archives) over firebricks (clay, ceramic, etc.). Im picked up some whiteish firebrick splits at my local brickyard for about 95cents a piece, but I see that some BGE posters are buying ceramic type bricks at $3-4 a piece. Will my bricks work??

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    ExtendedBrickSetup.jpg
    <p />VaEgger,
    Sounds like you got the right ones! They will work fine. You might consider getting some full size bricks too. I split them into 3 for a nice grid riser.
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    11_25_9906_24_03.jpg
    <p />VaEgger, best yours look something like mine!

[ul][li]Firebricks[/ul]
  • Everyone, mucho thanks!!!
  • Brickman
    Options
    VaEgger,
    There are two types of fire bricks. There are low density and high density fire bricks. The high density fire bricks can handle just about the same heat but because they are dense they tend to conduct heat much better than the low density fire bricks. The low density fire bricks tend to be brittle but they do not conduct heat very well if at all. We have bricks in our kiln that can be 2200 degrees F on one end and you can hold them 8" away with your bare hands. The low density bricks are usually quite a bit more expensive than the high density bricks. Either should work since all clay brick is fired at 1900 degrees or above. [p]Mark