Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brunswick stew judge advice needed

Options
Big'un
Big'un Posts: 5,909
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone been a brunswick stew judge, I need to ask some questions. Thanks!

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    No, but I'm willing to bet your's is great!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Todd,

What is Brunswick stew? Just kidding, I have seen recipes but never heard of it before I came here.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Would reading over some recipes help get you in the right direction?
  • USDA Prime
    Options
    My wife has been a 5 time judge in the Morgan County, Alabama NWTF Cook-Off. Her advice is to not leave out okra, potato cubes and yellow corn.
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Quite simple really. Brunswick stew consists of what every you decide to put into it from what I can gather. Simply decide which one tastes best to you. Quality and texture of the meats, veggies etc. Balance of flavors and basically, which one would you like to have another serving of. Same as judging a Beef stew contest. You will probably be more critical than the average joe as your tastes have graduated towards the eggs flavor profile. Taste...Vote...Enjoy,
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Well…I haven't been a judge...But, as for me, “Brunswick Stew” always has beans, tomatoes and corn.
    And, I guess, in my mind it is a very tomato base stew relying on a seasoning base!
    It can be made with a combination of meat; beef, pork, chicken, venison…on and on!
    But, what sets “Brunswick Stew” as “Brunswick Stew” to me is the tomato base and the seasonings.
    No matter, there is always the trinity of onion, garlic and celery!
    For the record, I sauté’ this in a bit of butter and olive oil!
    Added to the stew is basil, parsley, red pepper, a dash or so, of Worcestershire sauce and Bay leaf.
    This being done in "layers".....
    The result is “Brunswick Stew”. At least here at Dad’s.
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    You cooking or judging? We've done a few that were part of a Q contest. I have also judged a few.

Poppasam