Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super bowl Recipe

CampCook
CampCook Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How come all you easterners are cranking up recipes for the Super Bowl??? Don't you understand that the Packers lost? So, whats the point with all the fancy cooking? Just save all this fancy stuff for next year when we are sure to be there. I'm already planning a Packer version of ABT's. Of course, it will be a secret for the moment. I can tell you it will incorporate cheese as a major component.[p]CampCook

Comments

• CampCook,[p]The Pack will have to get past Seattle next year again to get there. And that ain't gonna happen. My wife is from WI so I have to root for the Pack when I'm not rooting for the Seahawks. So at least if the Seahawks do fall I'll be a Packer Backer from then on. =)[p]Lemme guess. The Packer ABT's include bratwurst? I don't think anyone who hasn't been to WI can possibly imagine how pervasive that stuff is there. They're damned good but I got scared when I saw in-laws arguing over the beer-braising methods used before they were even put on the grill. They were both right in that a perfect brat, unlike ribs, has to be started in the kitchen and finished on the grill.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Seattle Todd,
    we're making patriot ABTs out here.[p]little bit of horsemeat, maybe some eagle, even. serve them cold outside, they are hot enough by themselves.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Seattle Todd,[p]You tawkin' bout me?[p]Correction: Started on the grill, then finished in the kitchen.[p]If you conduct a blindfolded taste-test of various recipes, this one will win hands-down: "Classic Wisconsin Beer Brats" found at:[p]http://www.bratwurstpages.com/brats.html[p]Oh, yeah - and coffee isn't ever "discussed loudly" in Seattle... Anyone who hasn't gone to Seattle can possibly imagine how pervasive that stuff is there...[p]BTW, looking at Holmgren on the sidelines, I think he got hooked and imports brats from Wisconsin- a lot of them... LOL[p]MM[p]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    stike, slow smoked beans in the boston bean pot, and maybe some lobster in the ABT's for the patriots half
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Seattle Todd,
    Oh yeah, I've done the brat thing on the ABT's already. I actually liked that better than using pulled pork. The mildness of the pull seems to get overpowered by the jalapeno...the brat stands up to it quite well.[p]As for cooking brats, I have totally abandoned all traditional forms of beer braising as our forefathers taught da boat of us standing here side-by-each eena hey and so.[p]Since I've owned my egg, I have adopted a totally new technique. Start with raw brats (don't ever buy the precooked). 300 degree dome temp with indirect setup. Here's what I think is the real secret: put grape"vine" chunks in the lump and cook the brats for one hour. Don't worry about crisping them up over direct flame either. After an hour at 300 and in the smoke, they turn a dark brown and have a good crunch to them. The flavor is unreal and I have never seen people get so excited over brats like they do with these rascals.[p]I found the grape wood at my egg dealer in Green Bay. I used "vine" in quotes, because these chunks are the biggest "vines" I've ever seen...they go about 1 to 2 inches in diameter. [p]

• Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    MapMan,
    Holmgren could stuff himself with all the brats he can eat, and when he finished Any Reid could eat Mike Holmgren, brats and all.

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Daddyo,
    Nobody can eat him, he's the Walrus. Coocoocachoo!