Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping RiverRat - ABin5 yeast flavor

Options
mkc
mkc Posts: 544
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Leslie,

There was a little discussion today over on the Cooking Light discussion board about ABin5 and the new HBin5. Someone raised the yeast flavor concern and another mentioned that the authors had tested the recipes with less yeast successfully (although it took longer for the dough to rise.
[url]
http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=85[/url]

Maybe that would help with the flavor you find unpleasant.

BTW, the new book has quite a few recipes that use little to no all-purpose flour. DH and I also prefer to eat whole grain as much as possible.
Egging in Crossville, TN

Comments

• RiverFarm
    Options
    Hi, Michelle! Yes, I've tried less yeast, but I don't like how slow it makes the whole process. And really I don't get the yeasty/sour flavor in my bread these days. But I've been shaping and baking it immediately because Zoe suggested that that would lessen the ripening which tends to produce a stronger flavor. And, as I said, I've been using the white whole wheat, which seems to make the biggest difference of all. I think I'm going to try the regular whole wheat again with the Fleischman's yeast and see how that works out; maybe with the Fleischman's the regular whole wheat would taste good.

My DH prefers the semolina, but he's perfectly happy with Strohman's 100% whole wheat bread, so I'm trying to get close to that taste if I can. I really don't care for the semolina and it's a lot of work for something you don't enjoy!

Could you give me the link to the Cooking Light discussion? I'd like to see it. I used to subscribe to that magazine but stopped. Do you mean to say that you read Cooking Light and also use an Egg? :laugh: Seems paradoxical - so many Egg recipes are laden with carbs and fats!

Leslie
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    RiverRat wrote:
    Hi, Michelle!
    Could you give me the link to the Cooking Light discussion? I'd like to see it. I used to subscribe to that magazine but stopped. Do you mean to say that you read Cooking Light and also use an Egg? :laugh: Seems paradoxical - so many Egg recipes are laden with carbs and fats!

Leslie

Hi Leslie,

Here you go - it's towards the end of the thread. Join us over there if you'd like - there are a lot of foodies on the CLBB (and not all the discussions are about "light" food). There are even a few Eggers!

http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=130796

Some of our favorite things on the Egg are actually pretty healthy - sweet potatoes, roast chicken, pork tenderloin, salmon, etc. We really prefer the results the Egg gives us with those foods. Of course, tomorrow IS pizza Friday, so there will be some carbs and fat involved, but we'll have some red wine for balance ;)
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    Thanks, Michelle. I checked it out and left a comment. What other threads are interesting to an Egger or a French cuisine foodie? Nothing really leaped to the forefront when I browsed briefly.

Do you roast your chicken on an upright beercan style contraption? I wonder how the Egg would work for clay pot cookery, or is that kind of silly because it would be no different than in an oven, without the bother of stoking up the Egg?