Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Table on the Way...Egg Mate removal questions

Options
Kitarkus
Kitarkus Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My large came preassembled...and poorly. I loosened the upper band to place the dome on correctly/straight when I bought it (thermometer hole was facing the side :angry: ) I am aware that the spring system is under a load...and was careful as hell.

I have a new table on the way....and notice that for the mates to have been installed...there were bolts placed under the lower band with the threads facing out...obviously there is a bolt head under the band? I see that I can easily remove the mates...but this outward facing bolt will still be beneath the lower band. Is there an easy method of removing those bolts...I assume that it will involve loosening and/or removing the lower band in order to do so. Any help, guidance, and safety suggestions are appreciated.

The nest and mates are great...but I am surely eager to have a table to store my various grill necessities.
I'll have a large nest and mates for sale (3 weeks old hardly used) if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Obviously you would be wrong - no bolt head. However you do need to loosen and remove the lower band to get the flat head bolts out.

You should have received to plastic clips about 3" long with two holes in them. These are supposed to hold the spring assembly shut. If you don't have them get some tie wraps and use those to keep the hinge shut during this process.

Just loosen the carriage bolt after securing the hinge and lift off the lid with bot bands attached.
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    My method requires four hands 2 to hole the dome and 2 to remove the flat head bolts.

Step 1. Remove every thing off the lower band that has to do with the Mates.

Step 2. Lossen the bolt on the lower band.

Step 3. Get your extra hands to raise the dome about half way, so you can ease the lower band just enough to slide out the screws / bolts on both sides.

Step 4. Ease the lower band back down onto the egg. Tighten the band enought to do the Dollar Bill test. After you are sure that is good enough tighten the lower band till it is very tight. Your are done.Smiles to your success.
    PS The xtra hands are to hold onto the doam for dear life.
  • bryansj
    Options
    I added Mates after I assembled my large egg. I was dreading removing the strap assembly, but it turned out to be simple.

Once the lower strap's bolts are removed there is enough flex in the metal band to remove the bolts. Just secure the hinge spring with the plastic brackets or tie wraps, remove the lower band bolt, pull the lower band out away from the egg until you can remove the Mate's four countersunk head bolts. Then just put the lower band's bolt in and tighten while making sure you maintain proper alignment of the band. I was able to do this with my bolt bent as well.
  • eggineric
    Options
    When I put my large in my table, I just took the eggmates off and left the bolts sticking out. I knew I was going to need to replace my gasket in the near future so I left it until I could kill two birds with one stone. I replaced the gasket and removed the bolts at the same time. That is just my two cents worth.

ee