Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

did a flank steak and...

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did a large flank steak on the medium egg this evening. Marinated it a while in lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and lots of garlic. Did a quick 2 minutes (500 degrees) one side, flipped and 2 on the other. Then closed the vents for 1. Came out perfect. Rare and tasty. But you know what? It tasted exactly the same as when I do it under the broiler. Guess I expected something...different. Is it just because there isn't that much to work with and a very short cooking time? Am I just getting egg delirious?

Comments

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]Could have thrown a bunch of wet chips on the lump and smoked it some what. Try Char Crust, if you have any on hand. [p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]Congrats on your success. A very quick cook is just that. No time for anything to happen.[p]To experience a taste difference you would need to pre-smoke the meat. Cool the meal to almost frozen (resisting bending) and then thaw it (not cook) in the Egg in a strong smoke (very low temp). Remove to the fridge. Allow your Egg to heat to cooking temp and then cook the meal as usual.[p]Spin[p][p][p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]My adivice is to get a decent quality steak with at least an inch of thickness. Season simply with McCormick's Montreal Steak dry seasoning. Sear at 800+ for 2 minutes per side then close the vents and let dwell for another 3 or 4. Each time I've done this, the results have been oh, so wonderful. It's hard for me to address your statement that the steaks weren't much better than those done on the broiler simply because I haven't made many on the broiler before and none since I've had a BGE steak. One time on the broiler I ended up with a very juicy and tasty steak. All of the other times I remember doing one on the broiler, though, I've always been at least a little dissatisfied with the amount of doneness (I usually made em a little too dry). I do realize that this can possibly be attributed to my lack of skill with my oven![p]Either way, I agree with Spin on the smoke thaw. Further, I've noticed with burgers that if you're cooking at hot temps (~500)...not INSANE temps (800+)...that the addition of a couple of smoked chunks of hard wood does impart a decent amount of smoked flavor that I personally really enjoy on burgers and would prob enjoy on the steaks. If you wanna notice a difference between your BGE steaks and your broiler steaks and are interested in smokey steaks and are cooking at less than INSANE temps, that might be something you'd wanna try.[p]Good luck and enjoy,
    Cornfed

• mollyshark
    Options
    Spin,
    Great ideas. Flank is one of my favorites. I love the chewy, meaty, I dunno...whatever of it. Lotsa garlic and rare as you can get it. Will play with it a little and see howsit goes![p]Thanks for the suggestions. Hope to see y'all Saturday![p]mShark

• mollyshark
    Options
    I dunno. Seems vague.