Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Boston Butt special this week

Chef ArnoldiChef Arnoldi Posts: 974
edited 8:11PM in EggHead Forum
Boston Butt special this week (wk45) at Kroger 99c per lb

Comments

• You're up early (or late).

Thanks for the tip. Going to Kroger in a few hours.

Spring "Top Of The Morning To You" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,360
    Great Price! Save-A-Lot is doing the same in FL.
  • ToadieToadie Posts: 22
    What is the normal price on those? HEB here in Austin has Boston Butt for $1.19/lb every day.
  • EggieGEggieG Posts: 81
    Thanks for the heads up. Heading to Kroger this afternoon. ;)
  • danny285danny285 Posts: 360
    they are .88 here in Cabot,Ar this week, an 97 at Krogers
  • DiDi Posts: 395
    Any cooking tips/suggestions for a bge newbie that will try a Boston Butt for the first time?
  • danny285danny285 Posts: 360
    cook at 250 dome temp until it reaches 200 internal temp, good luck
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,360
    Mostly from what I've learned here, I cook indirect @ 275 dome over an inverted plate setter (legs up) with a drip pan of water under the meat (adds a bit of moisture and keeps the drips from burning and getting ugly). Many apply mustard and then a rub, but I like just the rub. My favorite is John Henry's 'pecan' which you can find at the link below. Also, at about 170 internal, the butt will "plateau" and the temp will stagnate for at least an hour or more, depending on the size of your roast. Providing your dome temp is stable, don't touch a thing... just sit back and have a cold one! Happy cookin'!!

http://www.johnhenrysfoodproducts.com/index.html
  • EggieGEggieG Posts: 81
    look in the recipe section and read Elder Ward's writeup. http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=114

it's a proven methodology on the BGE.
  • DiDi Posts: 395
    Thanks for the tips! I think our (me and hubby) is keeping the fire going for a long time at the correct temp. We are still a work in progress!
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    The only butts I've ever seen at Kroger were enhanced. -RP
  • Here in the Orlando area I've never seen pork so cheap. I just moved here from Tallahassee where butts were typically $1.59 to $1.99. Now, I never pay more than $.99. A couple of weeks ago Winn Dixie had shoulders for $.59 a pound!!!! I bought everything that they had!!! Central FL is a great place for meat lovers for sure. Beef, pork or chicken, it's all a lot less here. Or maybe I'm just so used to Tallahassee's awful prices that these look great. I don't know though....boneless, skinless chicken breast for $.89 last week at the local meat market. They were SO nice!!!!