Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calibrating dome temp

Options
skihorn
skihorn Posts: 600
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my Large for 15 months and my Medium for a year and have never calibrated the dome temps. (I know, I know, shame on me.) A few questions:

1. I am at the office right now but is it obvious how to take the thermometer out of the dome? What kind of device is holding it in place?

2. Everyone on here always says to place it in boiling water and check and use the boiling point calculator to measure. However, my Thermopen said to place it in ice water to check. Does it make a difference? The ice water is certainly easier. However, 32 degrees is a lot further away from the temps I will be checking with the dome. With the thermopen freezing is actually closer to most meat temps than boiling. (As I type this I also wonder if the dome thermometer even has markings down to 32.)

3. For actually calibrating what size wrench do I need? Is it obvious what to turn?

In your answers, assume you are talking to an idiot. Around my house when I change a light bulb I consider that a minor home repair. If I have to use a ladder then it is a major home repair.

Freddie
League City, TX

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    try this link::

it is all you need to know

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#calibrate

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    1. There is a spring clip on the upper stem of the underside of the dome, just pinch it and it will slide off the thermometer or you can pull the thermometer out.

I now leave the clip off.

2. The Thermopen is has electronics and it is important to calibrate at boiling and at a proper type of ice bath, there are specific instructions from Thermoworks available. If anyone wants a copy email me and I will email them out as they are in a PDF format.

For your dome thermometer use boiling water, I use a long fork to hold the thermopen over the boiling pot, some gloves and a 7/16" wrench. Use the adjustment nut on the back of the thermometer. A little turn goes a long way. For every 500' above sea level lower the boiling point by 1/2 degree or use the boiling point calculator under the Cookbook drop down menu above.

3. 7/16" & yes it is obvious on what to turn. A small turn goes a long way.

As one member says... If it is supposed to move use WD-40. If it isn't supposed to turn use Duct Tape. That solves all my problems.

GG
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Thanks Bente and GG. I think that is simple enough for even me (lower than caveman) to do it.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

The hardest part is holding the thermometer over the boiling water and handling the hot thermometer.

GG
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No, the hardest thing is grabbing the handiest saucepan off the pot rack - which happened to be a $$$2.5mm Mauviel, adding water, turning the burner on high... AND THEN FORGETTING ABOUT IT!! Arrggghhh!!!

The copper turns a lovely shade of black! So does the stainless on the inside. LOTS of elbow grease, lots of Barkeeper's Friend, a buffing wheel with two different buffing compounds ALMOST brings it back to normal. But not quite. I will have to spend some time with varying grades of wet/dry sandpaper and the buffing wheel again if I ever want to get it back to normal!

And all I wanted to do was boil water! :blush:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    you can use the dome clip to hold the thermometer in the boiling water;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Oh Michael, oh Michael, oh Michael.
    Judy in San Diego
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Michael, you should be beaten with a hard object.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    See what you made me do? You got me so upset I entered my reply twice. I hate when that happens!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    DryFly wrote:
    Michael, you should be beaten with a hard object.

You mean like a heavy copper saucepan? :lol:

All's well that (mostly) ends well...

4075858393_723c97667c_b.jpg

4076612446_aa465634a7_b.jpg

4076612308_bfa2fee822_b.jpg

Still have some work to do on the bottom. But my temp gauge is damn well calibrated!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    If you can walk and chew gum at the same time, you can calibrate your thermometer.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Gosh, you are me..thanks for the post :laugh: :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE