Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chops ... what to do?

Options
FatDog
FatDog Posts: 164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have cut some thick chops (about 1-1/4 inch) from a pork loin and have them sitting in the 'fridge languishing under the cover of a good butt rub. The question is, how should I cook them so that they don't get as dry as dust? I'm thinking about taking a high temp sear - rest - medium temp finish to 160 degrees. Some help will be appreciated.[p]Doc

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    160° is way to high. You'll have dry chops. Pull them at 145° for med rare. Slightly pink in the middle is just fine for pork.[p]Frosty Ones!
    Jim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    FatDog,
    Like the Slotmang sez, 145 internal will give you very light blush pink center. I would think that would be called "medium"....but whatever. 150 is as high as you wanna go with that loin meat.[p]As far as cooking, your goal is to get a nice flavorful crust on the meat right about the time the center hits 145. Sounds nice and thick, so I would prolly go 375-400 direct....maybe 10 minutes a side, or until 145 internal. You could also do a high temp sear and then roasting temps to the finish.[p]Have fun! And let us know what ya did.
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    FatDog,[p]Or, for something completely different...[p]Marinate several hours (or overnight) in orange juice (yep, OJ) with a little jerk sauce and a spash of rum. Many thanks to J Appledog on this one.[p]Smoke at 250° for about 90 minutes or so until the internal temp hits 140°. Cherry and/or hickory chunks are a natural here.[p]Crank up your Egg to high grilling temps and then do a minute or so per side to get the grill marks.[p]Just another suggestion for thick chops. I always try to get bone-in "rib" chops if available.[p]K~G

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    I cook pork chops like I do steak - sear and dwell. But I let them dwell longer than I do steak so they're cooked all the way through. I don't like rare or medium rare pork.
  • FatDog,
    I use the Trex method on thick chops. I coat in olive oil salt and Brunkens seasoning. I cook to 145-150 no higher.