Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Read this and collect $100

Options
greennewb
greennewb Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just kidding! I'm sure this has been covered at least a thousand times. But I am new here and didn't see it so I thought I would ask: XL or large. Here's the deal. 95% of the time I will be cooking for 4 people. Every once in a while I may cook for 7-10. But a lot of the time I will be cooking space intensive ribs, chicken quarters etc. Obviously the bigger the better, but is the large easier to deal with when cooking for a small number? Is it easier to regulate heat? I would love feedback on this.
Thank you from a soon to be egghead!
PS I have already ordered my Thermapen!

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hi Greennewb :)if you look up a little and to the left you will see a search box. You are right in that this question is asked a lot and as a result there are 100's of answers waiting to be read :) if you have a thermapen ordered then you have done some reading and know about the better equipment. so spend some time browsing and go ahead and register :) welcome, Julie
  • greennewb
    Options
    I ordered the Thermapen based on a friends suggestion. He has one and loves it. By the way, he has the XL.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Both the large and XL regulate heat very well so no issue there. If you are cooking for 4 people 95% of the time you will most likely be better off with a large. On a single grid I have cooked 4-5 Boston butts and seldom have to go to the XL unless doing a big cook. The XL is nice for Laying 3 large racks of ribs flat or doing mass grilling but I could get by with the Large most of the time. There are accessories to add grid space to the large like the adjustable rig which is made and sold by one of the forum members. It is a top quality piece of equipment. I started out with my XL and have since bought 3 larges and a small. The large is my go to egg most of the time and I regularly cook for 3. The XL is nice to have at all the big holidays as I am usually cooking a lot for a lot of people. Most here will recommend the large but I say get what will fit your cooking needs, they are both great cookers. If cost is not an issue a two egg combo like a Large and a med or a small or even two larges may fit your bill. No matter what you get you will be very happy with it. Chances are you will get another one to compliment your first one somewhere down the road. That is really nice to cook the meat and sides all on the Eggs.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Most people here feel the large is the better deal, including me. I have had a large for 3 1/2 years and last June added a small for quick cooks and for sides.

This question was recently asked and got great responses, click on the link below and you can read the thread. Welcome to the best (and last) grill/smoker you'll ever buy! :woohoo:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=753499&catid=1
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    or jiffy and bisquick :blink:
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I thought you were going to give us a preference. Which one is it, Ginger or Mary Ann. Ask Neil. He'll have an opinion.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    greennewb,

I'll jump off the usual bandwagon here. The XL is a rib machine. Up until recently the XL has had a shallower dome than the others. The new XL has the same dome geometry as the others. That is what I would buy out of the gate.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Mary Ann...always Mary Ann :blush::whistle:
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    That's my Memphis buddy!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    He know what he's talkin bout!Mary Ann-HANDS DOWN!or up. :blush:
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I guess for the old guys like poot, tim and pat we should give a Mrs. Howell option!
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I have a large and a small. I got the small in September and have used it more than the large. I have 2 adults and 2 kids and can cook enough food for a meal on the small.
    I have cooked 6 pork butts at once for a party with no problems on the large.
    I have no experience with a XL, but it seams it would use more lump to cook the same amount of food an a large for a family of 4. I would recommend a large and a second level.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B) Great IDEA!!! ;)
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Options
    I'm a little hesitant to show my lack of forum knowledge, here goes: Who are Ginger and Mary Ann? (As one of the forum members says, it is better to keep quiet and have some people think you are foolish than to open your mouth and remove all doubt)!

Uglydog
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Ah a young newbe, Have you ever seen the old tv show Giligan's Island? If not I guess we are telling our age! :ohmy:
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Options
    My bad! I am of the right age group for Gilligan's Island, but I am TV illiterate. Sometimes my contemporaries can't believe how little I know of the old TV shows.
    Thanks for the clue,

Uglydog
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Greenweb,
    I live in a house of 3 big grilling/smokin/eatin fans. So we're close to the same boat. Here's the gig. I'll walk into a store and sidle up to the XL and think whoa, how awesome would that be. Then I look at the price tag and think, "all that money would just go to waste when I could spend it on an adjustable rig at the ceramic grill store, a DigiQII, a Thermapen, a pizza stone, a mini and a crapload of ribs, butts and steaks. The bottomline is: The large will definately meet your everyday needs, and with the help of some accessories, creativity and the forum it will be enough for your guests too.

If you do a search you will find pics of all the different way these wise folks have loaded a large to the rafters and had really good luck. I went for the large and then used the extra money to buy all the desired accessories and a cute little mini in case I'm cooking for just me (my niece has claimed it for when she goes to college....she's six). That's my 2 cents worth. Welcome and whatever you choose...happy Eggin! :)
  • greennewb
    Options
    I really appreciate all the replies. I'm new to this forum and am really surprised at how active it is. I posed the question and have several responses in just an hour or two.
    I think that it would be nice if they had something in between the large and the XL. Sometimes I cook things that are space intensive (ribs, etc.) but I think that I am just going to get the large. Yes, money is an issue. I'm not a millionaire. But I have decided that I absolutely have to have one. I'm sure I will be back on here checking out recipies and tips as I embark on this journey. If you asked me right now, I'm saying large. But ask me again in 10 min and I will probably say XL without question. Oh! I'm crazy!!!!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Get the large and then buy the adjustable rig. You'll be covered. $100.00 please. ;)
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I agree there is a big difference in size between the Large and XL.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :woohoo: Monopoly aside, start with the large -- or win a mini at your local Eggfest :silly: B)
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Yep. Would have married Marry Ann in an instant. Think I did marry her sister! ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    heres the current record of ribs cooked on the large. with an adjustable rig there is stacked grates for more space, makes a dozen racks easy, 20 like shown looks a little tight, but it can be done ;)
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=62119&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it