Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Baked some Whole Wheat Bread in the EGG

Ross in VenturaRoss in Ventura Posts: 7,233
edited 9:06AM in EggHead Forum
DSC_0002-103.jpg
On the 2-hr. rise after the 18-hr. rise
DSC_0003-100.jpg

DSC_0004-85.jpg
I need to get more separation between the fire and the CIDO
DSC_0005-71.jpg

DSC_0006-67.jpg

DSC_0008-52.jpg
In the DO at 475*
DSC_0010-59.jpg
After 30-min. took the parchment paper out and the lid off and baked 30-min. more
DSC_0013-32.jpg

DSC_0014-38.jpg
I think I am getting better at it

Recipe:
2 1/4C Bread flour
3/4C Whole Wear Flour
1 1/4t salt
1/2t yeast
1 1/3C cool water
Let rise for 18-hrs. then rise another 2-hrs bake in DO for 30-min with lid on then 15-min. with lid off

Ross

Comments

• Greetings Ross,
    Nice!
    Do you preheat the DO before placing the dough plug inside?
    Do you brush the top with butter ?
  • FatDogFatDog Posts: 39
    Nice looking loaf ... good crust and crumb! I've been wanting to try bread in the egg and this has inspired me to give it a shot. Question; why did you use the parchment paper in the first part of the bake? Am I right in assuming it is to keep the bottom of the loaf from burning? Also, did you use any wood in the fire to add a wood-fired taste to the bread?
  • I preheat the DO for an hr. I did not brush it with butter it has great flavor

Ross
  • Yes on the parchment paper and no I did not use any smoke other than the lump

Ross
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Ross, You really do up the bread well! I do believe you are inspiring me!!
    Thanks!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • One other question. With the set-up you use it looks as the height of the DO would be equal with the grate if used. Why use the pizza stone and not the grate? Thermal mass?
  • SSN686SSN686 Posts: 3,176
    Morning Ross:

That is BEAUTIFUL! I have got to do more bread baking! Thanks for the inspiration.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,435
    Beautiful! I bet the aroma was wonderful.
    I gotta make some more bread.
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    Nice lookin loaf...As ALWAYS! ;)
  • Nice looking bread! We are going to start doing more bread on the egg ... hope it comes out looking like yours!

Joel
  • WokOnMediumWokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    That is beautiful...really beautiful!
  • Thanks Molly

Ross
  • It's lower I can't go any higher or the DO lid hits the thermometer

Ross
  • Thanks Jay I really enjoy it

Ross
  • Not only dose it smell good Clay it taste real good

Ross
  • Thanks Michael

Ross
  • Get after it Joel, you can not beat home made bread

Ross
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    You are the MASTER! ;) Thanks for the posts and tips! :)
  • Thank You

Ross
  • mr toadmr toad Posts: 668
    very, very nice

mr toad
    In dog Beers - I have had only one !
  • Thanks mr toad

Ross
  • WWSisWWSis Posts: 1,448
    Really nice job! I could almost smell it! :) :laugh:
  • Thanks Julia

Ross
  • Looking great Ross. I'm trying to stay away from the carbs but this would bring me back on the wagon.
  • Hey Ross:

Great looking bread. What size is your Egg? The first time I tried this, my DO was too high and when I put the lid down I bent the temp gauge!! Replaced that and put the DO lower. Burnt the dickens out of it, but I was too worried about the temp gauge (I didn't have much room between the top of the lid and the end of the gauge. My egg is a medium. Any suggestions? :S