Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Smoking on the Big Green Egg

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few questions about the Big Green Egg. May seem silly but my questions none the less. I've always liked cooking over charcoal/wood much more than gas. For years I had a small New Braunfels smoker and recently decided I was going to purchase a much nicer (approx $1000) 1/4 inch steel traditional smoker with the offset fire box. I really enjoy cooking brisket and/or pork butts and also like the versatility of having a large cooking surface for hamburgurs/fajitas or whatever if we choose to cook with direct heat. So here are my questions:
1. I have recently seen the large BGE. Looks very interesting. Will a full "untrimmed" brisket fit on the large BGE? Again, I don't cook them much but visually, it just doesn't look very big.
2. When Smoking Brisket and/or Pork Butt, do you get that good "Black" crust all over the outside of the meat?
3. If smoking a large piece of meat, say 10-12 hours, what do you do when/if you need to add more charcoal/fuel to the fire.
4. Can someone tell me what I "might" be missing if I choose to go the route of the BGE vs the traditional 20" diameter offset smoker?
Finally, Is there any expected difference in taste/texture of smoking on a BGE vs the traditioal offset fire box?

Like I said, some may seem silly questions but I'm just trying to decide which route to take.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments