Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Smoking on the Big Green Egg

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few questions about the Big Green Egg. May seem silly but my questions none the less. I've always liked cooking over charcoal/wood much more than gas. For years I had a small New Braunfels smoker and recently decided I was going to purchase a much nicer (approx $1000) 1/4 inch steel traditional smoker with the offset fire box. I really enjoy cooking brisket and/or pork butts and also like the versatility of having a large cooking surface for hamburgurs/fajitas or whatever if we choose to cook with direct heat. So here are my questions:
1. I have recently seen the large BGE. Looks very interesting. Will a full "untrimmed" brisket fit on the large BGE? Again, I don't cook them much but visually, it just doesn't look very big.
2. When Smoking Brisket and/or Pork Butt, do you get that good "Black" crust all over the outside of the meat?
3. If smoking a large piece of meat, say 10-12 hours, what do you do when/if you need to add more charcoal/fuel to the fire.
4. Can someone tell me what I "might" be missing if I choose to go the route of the BGE vs the traditional 20" diameter offset smoker?
Finally, Is there any expected difference in taste/texture of smoking on a BGE vs the traditioal offset fire box?

Like I said, some may seem silly questions but I'm just trying to decide which route to take.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments