Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker and remote controlling

Options
ebrooker007
ebrooker007 Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a linksys Wireless G router wrt54g. I have tried unsuccessfully all day to remotely monitor my stoker using my iphone. I guess I need a step by step explanation of what to do. I have it connected to my router through an ethernet cable and I can get it to show up on my desktop computer but I do not know how to share it via the internet with my iphone. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I don't have a stoker I have a CyberQII but, I see a post theother day and used the search for you and found it. Good luck Tim

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=751880&catid=1#
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Hi 007,

Have you opened up port forwarding on Port 80 on the router?.

Here is a diagram showing how I do this. Let me know how you connected your Stoker and would be happy to give you a hand.

Stoker%20Remote%20Access.jpg

Another good website on this is on the Virtual Weber Bullet Forum --- Automatic Temperature Control Systems
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Here's how to do port forwarding on your router:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/default.htm

Once that is done, you should be able to enter the ip address of your router into the url bar of your browser, and the router will push you through to the web-page served up by your Stoker.

Good luck,

Mark
  • ebrooker007
    Options
    That is the post that got me trying to do this but it is more geared toward if you have a mac.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Here is a picture of the Linksys configuration screen for allowing port forwarding. You need to use the IP address your router assigned to the Stoker. when you login to the router the stoker will be named something like "tini###xxx. Someone on the Virtual Weber Bullet Forum posted this pic of the port forwarding screen.

stokerptfwd.jpg

Hope it helps....
  • ebrooker007
    Options
    It seems like I have tried everything. I opened port 80 like one of the posts suggested but still unsuccessful. I have the stoker attached to my router with an ethernet cable. No wireless bridge.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Have you tried turning off encryption? Not a long-term solution, but if the encryption that you are using is the problem, you could consider changing your security options.

Mark
  • bryansj
    Options
    I assume you are wanting to connect to your Stoker using 3G and not your WiFi on your iPhone. If it is WiFi at your house then just connect to your Stoker's IP address on port 80 (192.168.1.xxx:80). If you are wanting to do this from the internet then you'll need to do more.

First you need to know the IP address of your WAN (connection to the internet). If this is not static then you'll need to use some service that will monitor your internet connection's IP address and forward you to it, such as dynip.com or smilar. My DSL service provides me with a static IP address which is like 68.xxx.xxx.xxx.

The next step is to assign a port forward within your LAN (your PC and Stoker connection to the router). You need to assign your Stoker with a static IP address in your LAN (192.168.1.102 for example). Assign a port forward from 80 (this could actually be any number) to 80 for your Stoker's IP address.

What you will end up with is on your iPhone you would go to your WAN's IP address with your forward port number... in my case 68.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 and it will allow that connection to come in and acccess your Stoker's IP address on the "to" port of 80.

iPhone > 68.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 > router > 192.168.1.102:80 > Stoker

I have a feeling you are missing the IP assignments.

Also for your "from" port you can assign any port number. I'll explain it because it might help you understand what is going on. You would do this if you have multiple Stokers (or devices with different LAN IP addresses) that need the same port. For instance if you have two Stokers with IP addresses of 192.168.1.102 and *.103 then you'll need a unique port address for each one so your router knows where to send you. You could map "from" port 82 to the *.102 Stoker and port 83 to the *.103 Stoker with 80 as the "to" port. It would look like this:

iPhone > 68.xxx.xxx.xxx:82 > router > 192.168.1.102:80 > Stoker1

iPhone > 68.xxx.xxx.xxx:83 > router > 192.168.1.103:80 > Stoker2