Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't open my egg after cleaning

Options
asianflava
asianflava Posts: 313
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After about a year use, my egg was really getting coated on the inside. I built a new table for it so I thought it'd be an opportune time to burn out all the charcoal inside so that the high temp can clean all the buildup.

As noted in the other posts, it cooked my felt gasket. It is still burning now, I noticed that the felt had started to bubble around the edges. When I tried to open it, it was stuck!

How do I go about opening my egg?

Thanks

Comments

• ViennaJack
    Options
    This has happened to me a couple of times. Your gasket is definitely cooked.

What you have to do is get the Egg warm again to soften the melted gasket and adhesive so you can open it. You can light a paraffin firestarter and drop it down the top vent so that it will burn on the grate. When it is almost completely burned out, try to open the lid.

If it is really sealed up, you may need another firestarter. Once I had to get a bunch of twigs and drop them down the vent to build a little fire on the grate before enough heat was generated to open the lid.

Oh, and if you don't have any paraffin firestarters laying around, fold a paper towel up into a little square and soak it with cooking oil. That will work just as well.

Good luck!
  • asianflava
    Options
    I managed to open it. It was still burning when I wrote the last note (it's still burning now). What I did was run a box cutter blade around the perimiter, it opened with a little (ok a lot) bit of a tug.

It really did a job on the inside, it is shiny and good as new for the most part. It didn't seem to get the area just below the lip though. It doesn't look like it will get much hotter, I'll just let it burn itself out.