Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hard to light!!! Help!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I gave the small green egg to my mate for Christmas. He must own 10 grills and has wanted one of these for ever and was estatic. The first night we cooked on it we were in love. Since then we have had a hard time lighting it and keeping the fire going. I KNOW this is not supposed to happen. We are using the Green Egg Charcoal and the "balls of newspaper". Just tonight he lit it and now it is out again. I need help here. The frustration is rising. We are following the basic instructions to get the paper going with the lid up, then close the lid and leave the bottom and top vents fully open until the temp is reached so HELP!!!

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    bhowton,
    I would say quit using newspaper. You are probably creating too much ash that is clogging the holes on the lower grate. Try using a MAPP torch or starter cubes.[p]~nikki[p]

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    bhowton,
    If you are going to use newspaper, you pretty much have to clean things out before you start it again. You need to get the newspaper underneath the charcoal for it to have much effect. Get a chimney starter from the hardware store, or buy some weber starter cubes, Wal*mart green gel, or even sawdust and parafin fireplace starters. They work a lot better. MAPP torches run about $40, and you may want to eventually look into one, but for now, I'd get some type of starter.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Daddyo
    Daddyo Posts: 224
    Options
    bhowton,
    I just use little starter cubes. Put one cube right in the middle, light it, open bottom vent all the way, take top vent off, and wait. Has never failed.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    bhowton,[p]You should probably pick up some starter cubes or any of the other fire starter log things which you can break up in small pieces to more easily start the Egg. These are what I use. Or, you can go with one of the torches that folks use. It seems that MAPP is the way to go, though I've never made the switch. Or, if you want to use newspaper, if you get a Weber charcoal chimney (or any charcoal chimney, for that matter), you can put lump in the chimney then loosely crumple 2 sheets of newspaper into the bottom. You don't need exactly 2, that's just what I always grab. Anyway, light the paper in a coulple of places and just let it burn. I've lit a zillion fires like this and I don't think I've ever had to relight.[p]Finally, if you want the zero cost option, you can effectively use newspaper directly in the Egg. As others noted, it will produce more ash and take longer to start. That said, I used newspaper for at least the first 6 or so months when I got my Egg. My process was to scoop out all of the old lump from the Egg and put it in a bag. Then, remove the grate and scoop out all of the ash (neatness doesn't count). Put the grate back in and again, loosely crumple 2 sheets of newspaper on the grate. In this instance, crumple a tad more loosely than you would with the chimney. Put some new lump on top of that (or you could use the old, though new probably lights a bit better) and light the paper in a few places. Leave the vents and the dome open while the charcoal catches. After a few minutes, add the old lump back on top, close the dome, then leave the vents open while some more lump lights (another 5 minutes or so). This should have you going and you should be able to start adjusting vents to reach the desired temp.[p]Good luck,
    Cornfed

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    bhowton,[p]A MAPP Torch from Lowes or Home Depot is the only way to go. Otherwise, I would use the electric starter from BGE or you can get one online from BBQ's Galore for about $11. The electric one works great too and I gave one to my inlaws for Christmas along with a Medium egg and they love it.[p]I'd still go with the MAPP torch so you can do great cremboulets!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • BunkyRub
    Options
    bhowton,
    I'd suggest the electric starter, essentially a cal-rod type of unit. It's clean and efficient.

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    bhowton,
    An electric starter or MAPP torch is the way to go. However, if you use your egg frequently, as I do, the MAPP torch is the best option. I burned out four electric starters in the first six months I had my egg and then switched to the MAPP torch. Also, a small egg collects ash in the bottom much faster than the large or medium. Use an ash tool to clean out the bottom if the ash has built up to block air flow through the opening in the fire box.

• Mustang Sally
    Options
    bhowton, Put that newspaper in the recycling bin not your egg! When I was researching the egg I repeatedly read that newspaper leaves too much ash so use fire cubes, mapp torch or electric starter.I have an electric starter which I order along with the large egg. It works like a charm every time. I just stick it in the egg put old and new lump over it, have the bottom vent wide open and leave the top open. In just a short time I have a raging fire because of all the oxygen the fire is getting. When I think there are enough lumps burning I shut the top, put on the daisy wheel, and close the bottom vent just wide enough to keep fire going. I hang the hot starter from the handle until it cools off. No fuss what-so-ever. Wish I had always had one of these and avoided that charcoal lighter fluid I used to use with my old grills. Perhaps your newspaper is just burning too fast for the lump to really catch fire. I had one fire almost go out on me...last weekend half way thru my attempt to cook beef jerky at 150-200. I think the biggest problem was the moisture in the air because it was snowing. I scrapped the ash out from underneath and it was damp. I had to remove everything I was cooking and actually restarted it by opening bottom vent, leaving lid up and blowing on it....(cough, cough) Needless to say, I have added "bellows" to my shopping list :)
    Have you been removing the ash from the bottom of the egg? Hope this helps.

• bhowton,[p]Just use starter cubes (see link below for an example).

[ul][li]Fire Cubes[/ul]
  • Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Options
    bhowton,[p]Jim Slotterback turned me onto something thats works really well. Try the GREEN HEAT at Walmart. Works GREAT for me.[p] Dave

• tstick
    tstick Posts: 67
    Options
    bhowton, I use jelled alcohol that I get at fireplace stores. Works great. Just a little dab. A bottle costs about $5.00 and last a long times.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    bhowton,
    good god people she ain't sayin it won't light, she's sayin it won't stay LIT.[p]make sure you have enough lump. too much is not a problem, since you'll be snuffing the fire and resuing what's not burnt.[p]when you start a new cook, you MUST use the ash tool to stir the old lump and let the ash fall through the grate, or your airholes will plug up....[p]if you can start the fire, the issue has to be not enough lump, or not enough airflow

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante