Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first London Broil (revised)

Options
2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the original post I heated used marinade for a finishing sauce. Sence then I have changed my mind and plan to set aside marinade for a finishing sauce for health reasons as well as common sence food handling practises. I would never want to make anyone sick. Tim

Well Well Well My first London Broil! :ohmy: :unsure: I want to thank Rusty Rooster for cooking London Broils at the before party and the after party during Eggtoberfest 2009. Tom you have planted a seed and it is truly growing. Rusty Rooster aka Tom thank you for holding my hand! I also thank the others who had chimed in when I ask questions. Thank you all :):)

This may have had something to do with it. Here is a Publix Store Premium cut London Broil.

000_1047.jpg

Here is some cubed up butternut squash. I did what Tom did I marinaded it. I ment to grill it yesterday but, we got in to late so, we grilled it tonight. Three days in the good stuff! I have to admit I did one more thing before I seared it. About three hours before I grilled it I used a Jaccard meat tenderizer on it.

000_1046.jpg

Here is what it looked like after the 600* sear. :P
I was worried it would be tough and chewy but, it was soooo tender I was smiling from ear to ear! ;) I may have over done the sear because it was a little crunchy like bark on the outside. I seared 3 min fliped it 4 times like that to get the cross markes on it. I was going to take it off and finish it at 350* indirect but it was 130* after the sear so I wraped it in foil for 5 min.

000_1045.jpg

Next time I plan to hold back some marinade to heat and use instead of using marinade that had meat in it.
It may be unsafe and I don't want to take that chance.

000_1042.jpg

000_1043.jpg

Comments

• ViennaJack
    Options
    MMMMMM! Nothing like London Broil on the Egg. Sometimes when I make it I'll let it chill and slice it paper thin on the slicer.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Jack, We could not wait any longer. We tore into that meat like two dogs fighting over the neighbor's cat! :laugh: Tim
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    2Fat,you may turn into a cook afterall!!! :laugh: Just funnin!That looks WONDERFUL! ;)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Great looking and smelling meal, Yes Emeril there is smell-a-vision, in my mind.

If you are going to Jaccard, next time try to do in the beginning, that way the marinade penetrates better. Great little tool, but very sharp.

Jaccard.jpg

I like to use it on many items that are going to marinate 6+ hours.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hoss, My head is so big I can't get your cap on my head right now. Let me tell you the last to cooks were burn't because I wasn't watching! :ohmy: So, I am feeling better now. Next in line is the Brisket! :unsure: I have my notes so, time will tell. Tim
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Go for IT!!! I love brisket. :)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    did i miss his post on the marinade?

i gueww i did.. would you repost the recepie?

thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey Richard, That Jaccard is easy to use. You are right you need to becareful handling it it may tenderize you! I got it after I started the marinade and I just remembered it. That marinade really smells up the place it had dejon mustard in it and it really smells! Thanks Tim
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    How long was the cook ? Each side ?

Looks good.

Gary
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Bente, Here is Rusty Rooster's Marinade.

1/8 cup worchestershire
    1/4 cup vinegar (I usually use white)
    1/2 cup dijon mustard

Put all these in your blender & get it running on high. Then drizzle in the oil (I used canola for the afterparty) that will emulsify. It should take approx. one cup of oil maybe a little less. Just drizzel it in till it will not emulsify any more & starts to pool oil in the sauce.

Set a 1/2 cup of marinade aside for the finishing sauce before adding meat.

Let the London Broil Marinade at least overnight. The one at the afterparty had been marinading since Wednesday (that was four days).

How to heat the marinade you have set aside for the sauce. I usually just put it on in a small loaf pan while I am cooking the meat. As long as it is good & hot all the way through should be good. Slice thin accross the grain & pour sauce over before serving.

Hope you enjoy.
    Tom

Tim
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Lookin' good!

This coming Friday I'll have several friends over to celebrate surviving the latest surgeries. Think I'll [once again!] Egg up another Tri-Tip.

Thanks for your supporting post!

~ B
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    thanks tim

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    GTIPROD, I seared this meat at 600* for 6min per side. Now I think I may have over done it a bit. My meat size and weight were about 2 1/2 inches thick and 1.6 lbs. Give it a try and go from there! ;) Tim
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Tim...Nice cook. :);) London broil is always a very flavorful meal....
    Please...I must caution you....please do not make it a practice to re-use a marinade as a sauce! :blink: It is best to set some marinade aside, and use the fresh as the sauce, as opposed to just simmering what the meat has been sitting in for days. No matter what the arguments, it simply is not a safe practice. ;)
    Nice job on the meal, Tim. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Terry I thought you were Beli! :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    LC, Thanks for the heads up! :sick: I will do as you suggest from now on. :blush: Tim
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    That looks outstanding. Good cook and very inspirational to those waiting to try a LB. :)
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    What she (LC) said. A very valid precautionary practice.
    Contamination is way to easy to spread and also just as easy to prevent. Take your marinade to a lab and have it examined for Total Coliform (Presence/Absence). You will be surprised to fine that bacteria still remain after heating and reusing for saucing. I checked my own marinades after re-heating at the Lab where I work and it is still positive for bacterial contamination. Isolate a portion for saucing seperate from the marinade. Happy Egging and thanks LC for bringing up an important safety issue.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Thanks Bruce! I was prepared for arguments here.... I know at times I am rather 'anal' in my approaches to food and food handling, but in my biz, one wrong call can kill...literally. :blink: I would far rather err on the side of safety. ;) Thanks for backing that up.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Little Chef & Eggsakley; I agree with you 100%. No arguement from me. I will make it my practice to always set aside extra marinade for a finishing sauce instead of heating used marinade for a finishing sauce from here on out.

Thank you for the mentoring and advice and suggestions.

Respectfully, Tim