Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many Pizza's can you cook in one cook?

Options
3Pedals6Speeds
3Pedals6Speeds Posts: 439
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had friends over last night (50 degree's and rainy in MI) and we made 'make your own' pizza's. I ran the egg as high as I could get it with the placesetter, egg feet, and pizza stone would go, which was a shade under 550. The 1st three pizza's crisped up and browned the edges nicely in about 10 minutes.

The next three though took about a minute longer each (11, 12, 13 minutes), and while the crust was pretty good, it was less crispy and had a much less browned top crust. I had started with a nearly full amount of lump, and as of this morning I see I have virtually nothing left. I had the bottom vent wide open, and the daisy also wide open to get to the 550 temp

Is 6 pizza's simply too much to expect?

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    3 Pedal, something sounds wrong, 6 pizzas should be a breeze, & the stone actually should get hotter as you go decreasing the cook time, not increasing. I have done as many as 5 pies without burning 1/2 a load of lump, with lump left over, so my guess is you may have some bad lump. Also, even with the setter & stone in, you should be able to go well past 550, not that you want to, but reaching higher temps should not be an issue, so either your fire box isn't properly cleaned out or, again, bad lump. You may also have had too many small pieces in there, that will supress temperatures, but certainly not burn it all out after only 6 pies. Are you using Cowboy by any chance, that tends to burn quickly & suck in general?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    6 pizzas should not be a problem. Did you have the Egg stabilized at that temp? It take a good 30 to 45 minutes to get mine and the platesetter & pizza stone up to temp. When I'm stabilized at that temp, my bottom vent is open about 2 inches, the daisy wheel is open almost all the way. Some folks take the daisy wheel off all together.Are you using a good brand of lump? Are the holes on your grate open?
    Brian
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Make sure your ash compartment is completely clean, use fresh lump, let is stabilize 30-45 min (as above). I agree with leaving the daisy wheel off. I usually cook with it off when using temps above 400* unless I want to increase the amount of smoke from wood chips. Not hard to control temps with the bottom vent only.
  • 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    Okay, you're probably on to something.

Grates - open
    Ash bin - cleaned prior to starting
    Lump 'age' - fresh
    Lump Brand = Frontier
    Lump size - Was a little small.

I was finishing a bag (the aforementioned Frontier) that I had leftover from my Weber (1st year Egger). You have me thinking that may be my problem. I had just exhausted my BGE brand lump, and figured I'd use this stuff up.

The REALLY funny part is that upon posting this I ran to Home depot to get a 'chimney' to protect the daisy wheel during similar cooks (I ended up buying a variable degree 7" elbow that looks like it will work well), and I saw they had Cowboy brand on sale (I'd never used or heard of) so I picked some up. So, I just got back and am reading this and..........

Guess what's going back as a return later today?

What brands (other than BGE) do you recommend?
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I wouldn't return it, despite my comment, it will do the job provided the egg is cleaned out properly... I have had mixed results, some bags of it contain only small pieces, some bags are better. If you want to educate yourself, go to the website of the NakedWhiz, he reviews every lump known to man, it has great information. Good luck, & lets see some pictures
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    If the Cowboy was cheap, I would use it. It has smaller pieces, and burns fast, but it is a breeze to light and burns hot. It's good for short fast cooks. May as well try it, so you have a comparison with other lumps. Make sure you try Wicked Good - it is extremely dense and burns a long time. But it does take longer to get going. Great for low and slows.

Have fun!

Richard
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Another brand I use for those quick everyday cooks is Royal Oak. I just stopped at Wal-Mart the week before last to stock up before winter. Word on the street is that its the same stuff as BGE brand...just in a different bag. Bag is red and I believe you want to make sure you get the stuff made in the USA...I can't remember for sure, but someone who knows much more than me will correct me if I mispoke.
  • Emarf
    Emarf Posts: 167
    Options
    I use Royal Oak or duraflame
  • 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    Are there any major chain stores (HD, Lowes, Grocery stores) that sell these better brands?
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    WallMart sells Royal Oak at a pretty good price. I use it almost exclusively (because I like it and it is readily available). Cowboy is fine in a pinch, use it.
  • ranger ray
    Options
    you must have had a bad batch of whatever charcoal u used....
  • 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    The stuff I used (Frontier) had been open and in the garage for quite a few months. Given the recent rains, maybe it had sucked up a bunch of moisture?