Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

taking a run to Freds, is it worth it?

Options
stones
stones Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hey everyone,

while i await delivery of my new large egg i was thinking of taking a ride to Freds in Shillington PA. Anyone familiar with the store? its about 1 1/2 hours away for me,is it worth the ride?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Glad to see you went with the Large.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Be there dun dat. I made the over hour drive and was surprised at the product Fred has on the floor. And if you have any interest in music you'll be happy also.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I do not think you would be disapointed! He has more sauces and rubs than you are likely to see in most places. Also if you want to try some different lumps, you can get a really wide variety at Freds.

Also, I think they do demo cooks pretty often on Saturday, around noon.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    considering what the weather is today a ride to freds seems a good choice,, he has LOTS of good stuff..
    however next saturday mad max will be there and you will be able to see freds and meet a bunch of egggers at the same time,, i vote for next weekend if you can do it.. and be sure to introduce your self..
    max

freds004.jpg

fred
    freds006.jpg

eggscriber, unconundrum, zippylip, bosshogg, unibomber [me] ,woodbutcher and max in the front

freds010.jpg

look for the unibomber and i will introduce you to the gang
    bill
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    man that is one ugly crew
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    I'm actually making the rest of you guys look good. Look how short I am. Now I know how Steven feels. :whistle:
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    highly educated but ugly
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    not a one of us is any where near 6 ft tall.. just a bunch of short funny looking eggheads
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    or, educated & highly ugly :laugh:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Signal 99
    Options
    A trip to Fred's is worth it. I purchased my large BGE from him about 18 months ago. I live near Syracuse and decided after to talking with Fred, I had to see for myself. Could have bought my BGE from dealers a lot closer. I continued to get stuff from Fred over the internet & looking forward to another road trip.

Doug D.
    LaFayette, NY
    ~HOPE~ is wishing something would happen. ~FAITH~ is believing something will happen. ~COURAGE~ is making something happen......
  • stones
    Options
    HEY GUYS,
    Well made the trip today. very cool store. Saw Fred, he seemed busy so i didnt
    bother him.

I did pick up the following:

thermapen
    maverick wireless
    hog boss sauce, and honey mustard sauce
    several Dizzy Pig seasonings and a variety pack yummmm
    some tastylick seasoning
    Ash tool
    Pizza stone
    Guru lighter
    grill extender
    "Restaurant" lump
    Humphrey's lump
    cool stainless steel injector
    wood chips for smoke-cherry, hickory and apple

almost talked into a pellet grill as well.

Now i just need to cook something. Unfortunately , won't be home for about two weeks.
  • wow... you certainly made it worth the trip have fun with the new stuff. soon you will be posting,, "where do your all store your eggcessories
    me, costco stainless resaurant wire shelving 6 shelves 16x48 and almost out of space :laugh:
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    So where did you buy your new Egg? Why not Freds?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• stones
    Options
    from locals. Just thought it made more sense in case i had any problems. Love Fred's but its 1 1/2 hours away.