Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Egg and Trex Steaks

Zeke
Zeke Posts: 90
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought some nice N.Y. strip steaks today at Sam's for $5.88 per pound. I was going to do the Trex method. Anyway, the BGE was frozen shut at the time I wanted to start the fire. I finally got the egg thawed without ripping the gasket. It took about 20 minutes to get the dome temp past 750°. At that point I covered the steaks with olive oil and covered with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Anyway, you know the rest of the routine. The steaks came out beautiful and were one of the most tender and flavorful strip steaks that Fang and I have ever had including from a chop house.[p]If you have not tried the Trex method, do so. Oh yeah, for us in the frozen parts of the country, lets remember to use some foil or wax paper to keep the egg dome from freezing.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Zeke,
    Also remember to never shut your egg down with no lump left in it..this time of year would be wise to add soome lump and then shut it down, so you have fuel to burn if you need to unfreeze it next time...spoken from experience..I did get it open, but there was crumbs in there burnin..LOL[p]Wess

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Zeke,[p]$5.88/lb? Dang, that's pretty good. Was that Choice or Prime? Prime NY Strips have gone to about $15.00/lb here in Houston, so it's been a while since I've allowed myself to splurge. My hope is that this U.S. mad cow deal will actually send the price of beef down, since less people will be buying due to their fear of mad cow. We shall see I guess. [p]TRex
  • Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    TRex. You know I don't remember whether Choice or Prime but I do remember seeing other cuts of beef marked as Choice. At the price I paid, I'm confident Choice is what we had. Anyway, these steaks were fantastic, tender, juicy and I'm doing them again on Sunday!!! I may not want a prime to spoil me any further.