Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef jerky

Options
Phil
Phil Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
does anyone have knowlede of beef jerky recpies using the big green egg? thanks

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    jerky.jpg
    <p />phil,
    I cook beeef jerky all the time. Go to Gfw's website or the recipe may still be on this one and look for River City Beef Jerky. It is a great base. I modify mine with extra cayene pepper. Cook indirect at 200 for abput 10 hours flipping occasionally.
    I use rump roast for meat.[p]Good Luck,

• phil,
    Do it all the time and like CW Mike.. I started with GFW's base recipe... I usually use a cheaper cut of meat (whatever is on sale) like a london broil or eye round...[p]Throw it in the freezer for an hour to firm up before slicing... cut in 1/4" thick strips... marinade for 18 to 24 hours... I cook mine over an indirect set up w/ platesetter and drip pan, temp 180-200 for 8 hours turning the meat every 2 hours... turns out great... Oh and I forgot I usually add a hickory chunk or two for smokiness...[p]AS Mikes pic shows you just spred the meat out over the surface of the grill... I find that about 3lbs of meat will pretty much cover the grid on my large in a fairly thin layer... [p]Best damn jerky I've had.... oh and if you don't add sodium nitrate (curing agent) you will need to keep it refrigerated after you make it.[p]Have fun...

• Car Wash Mike,[p]What is GFw's website? I would like the recipe. Thanks
  • Car Wash Mike,
    found the site and recipe--thanks

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Nardi,[p]Have you ever used bottom round? The local grocery here continuals unloads these bottom round roasts as "buy one get one free." I've tried everything to get them tender, but it is damn near impossible unless you just stomp on them or put them in the driveway and back the car over them a couple times (finally, justification for a Hummer). Where do you get the sodium nitrate also...and how much do you need?[p]mShark
  • MollyShark,
    No, I haven't used bottom round before... Maybe try cutting it across the grain kind of like you would for a flank steak... having the shorter muscle fibers may give the feel of more tender meat/jerky... then again not sure if that would play out the same in jerky as in a fresh grilled flank.[p]AS for the Curing agent... I actually don't use it myself... and thus I keep mine refg'd. To me one of the benefits of home jerky is to have less chemicals in it.. I do know that if you want to leave the finished product out at room temp you need to use the cure. If you ask about jerky curing agaent in the forum someone will let you know... I had read about them from several sources but never joted it down.

• QMan
    QMan Posts: 4
    Options
    phil,[p]I like Kevi's site for jerky:[p]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ktaylor11/kevi.htm[p]I've had the best luck using London broil for the beef.[p]QMan