Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First ABTs a big success

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
Last night, in below zero temp, I Egged my first (and certainly not the last) ABTs. Both Eggs were frozen shut when I tried to light them after work...in the dark, no less. I opened the chimney top and vent on the Small and pushed a Weber starte cube in the bottom. Better than just thawing it enough to open, when I checked after about 15 min, the temp was up to 350 on just the dregs of old lump! That little guy's a real champ.[p]Here's the recipe I used:
Big fat jalapenos (9), split lengthwise, seeds removed
Soft cream cheese (full fat, why not?); about 1/2 tub
Juice from 1/2 lime
Zest from 1 lime
Dijon mustard, about 1 1/2 T
Honey, about 2 tsp
Pulled pork from Sunday's cook, about 1 cup, packed
Bacon for wrap (1/2 slice per pepper)[p]I assembled 18 halves, wrapped them in bacon, secured them with toothpicks, and covered them liberally with freshly ground black pepper. Egged indirect over drip pan at 325 or thereabouts for about 45 min. or so. I did turn them over once, but I'm not sure I really needed to, and I did lose a little stuffing from a couple of the fattest guys in the process.[p]Three of us devoured all of them...even though we had already eaten dinner! Jim's bro liked a squeeze of lime on his; I was too busy noshing to try it. Sounds good, though.[p]You could use commercial honey mustard, but I didn't have any so I combined dijon mustard with honey at about a 2 to 1 ratio, or to taste.[p]Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Gretl, aren't they great?!?! Next time consider putting the p/p in first and then the philly cheese. At least I've found the cheese melts into and through the meat and grabs a foothold plus the p/p doesn't get dried out that way.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.