Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ease of Use

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How easy is BGE to use compared to an Electric or Gas Smoker? I always thought it was a pain lighting the charcoal on a regular grill. Thanks

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Shirley,[p]Its extremely easy. You simply pour in the lump charcoal, light a starter stick/cube on top of the pile of lump, and in 10 minutes the fire is pretty much ready. Not as easy as just turning on the gas burner but not a difficult process by any means. The flavor of food cooked on teh egg is head and shoulders over what is possible off of any gas grill and definitely worth the extra 5 minutes of effort required to start it. Just my never to be humble opinion.[p]Troy
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Shirley,[p] The BGE is not hard to use, but I will admit it's probably more difficult to use than an electric smoker. After all, you can't just throw a switch on the side and walk away. However, the results are worth the small amount of added trouble. Also, lighting the BGE is not like lighting a regular charcoal grill. The BGE uses lump charcoal, not briquettes. All I normally do is fill the firebox with lump, then place a firestarter cube ubderneath (no nasty lighter fluid). I leave the bottom open and the cap off and within 10 minutes I have a great fire. Incidentally, the BGE is much more versatile than those bullet smokers. You can grill and bake on the BGE in addition to smoking.[p]MikeO
  • sprinter
    Options
    MikeO,[p]Great minds think alike. Missed your post by 10 seconds.[p]Troy
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Shirley,
    I've used an electric smoker since 1982 and a gas grill since 1986! I wish both of them (I went thru quite a few too!) would have been as hassle free as what the Egg has been! I don't care what the weather, what time of the year or how bad things are, the Egg is still easy to "crank up"! Ten minutes, 15 at the most and I'm ready to start cookin'! You're gona hear a lot of remarks about how easy it is to get going. Believe them all! It really works that way![p]
    Dr. Chicken[p]

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Shirley,[p]I think you are correct. A regular charcoal grill is a pain in the butt to light, but the Egg is by no means ordinary! I cook 3-5 night a week (regardless of the weather)! The Egg takes between 7-10 minutes to get started. To me, the biggest agvantage is the food. I've always enjoyed smoked and grilled foods, but there was no way I was going to get something that either looked like an oil drum or I had to hook up to an old pick-up truck! Until I bought an Egg, I thought a microwave was made for people like me. Now, the microwave is only used to reheat leftover ... if there ever are any leftovers![p]Smokey
  • Thanks all. What quick responses! I'm convinced & on my way to buy one. The extra time & effort sounds like it is well worth it & I do love to cook!

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Shirley,[p]Please don't only buy an Egg, but continue to join us here on the forum! Can't wait to hear all about you egg adventures! Also feel free to ask question. Everyone here is nice and most don't even bite![p]Smokey

• sprinter
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Yeah, and most of us are housebroken too.[p]hehehe[p]Troy
  • sprinter,[p]I'm surprised that you all use the starter cubes...I use the electric...works great but burns out 2/year. But only $9.95 to replace!