Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Bye Bye Vista

Chef CharlesChef Charles Posts: 824
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I installed Windows 7 last night replacing Vista. It took a lot longer than I expected ... started around 10:30 and did not finish till after 4:00 :angry: :angry: .I wonder how 7 will work versus the old OS?

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

Comments

• CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 3,733
    Hi Tom, I'm thinking about moving from XP to 7 but want to hear about others' experience first. Did you do an 'incremental' install, or reformatted the partition and installed from scratch?
    -Gary
    Vaughan, ON, Canada

• Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Gary,

From XP do a clean install and NOT an upgrade.

7 is faster then XP and Vista. Vista works well but I had to turn off all the alerts, that is all the, do you really want to do this type messages, they drove me crazy.

If anyone is enrolled in a Trade School, Jr. College or College Win 7 can be purchased for $30.

GG
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 3,733
    Thanks GG. My kid can get it free from the university he attends :P
    -Gary
    Vaughan, ON, Canada

• Beanie-BeanBeanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    It'll be a lot more snappy in terms of performance. Been using it for months at work (I work for a certain computer company based out of Round Rock, TX...) and I am almost ready to give up my XP workstation build for Win7. Yup, almost...

My notebook has been running several different builds of Win7 for months now, and I must say that it's been one of their better offerings.

Good luck with your build--there are lots of tips for the new features out there, and as with other versions of Windows, things are moved around/changed from what they were before :(

Cheers!
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,347
    My experience with Vista has been horrible! It hangs, balks, stalls, crashes... you name it! Went to buy the Win7 upgrade at a local Staples today but both the store & warehouse were out of it! Think I'll try J&R.
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

If you are fighting a Vista Install then I don't think I would go for an upgrade, go for a full release when you do change over.

When I buy OS's I buy OEM full version plus a hard drive. I then return the unopened hard drive, if I don't need the HD. The companies won't allow return of opened software anyway.

I got a machine with Vista installed and it works great, although, I have never gotten used to the change from XP to Vista. I ahve a 'bunch' of machines I use here, all XP except for 1 Vista machine. I don't use the Vista much at all, but it has never even given a hint of a problem.

I might get 1 copy of Win 7 just to play with it. Win XP works well and I'm not excited pay for the updates or new installs.

GG
  • I'm using Win 7 on a netbook. I really like it. You can do a clean install from the upgrade. It's a little convoluted but it can be done.