Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deer ribs?

Options
OzarkQ
OzarkQ Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone tried cooking deer ribs? We've got ribs... we've got egg - put them together and???

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Trim the meat off,add about 1/3 bacon,seasonings,grind and make sausage. ;)
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    No harm no foul to do them low and easy, maybe even easier then the other ribs, but the same deal - loosen the tendons and ligaments without drying them out. Maybe 250 until 190 or so.

Doug
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I’m with Hoss on this one!
    I only had deer / venison ribs once, and I have to admit that I wasn’t impressed.
    BUT…If you really want to give the ribs a try…Here is what I would do regarding a rub and a sauce.

Northwood's Spice Rub
    Dad's Kitchen
    From JB
    2 t. sweet paprika
    1 t. ground cumin
    1 t. brown sugar
    1/2 t. salt
    3/4 t. oregano
    1/4 t. cayenne pepper

Bourbon Peach Mop Sauce
    From JB
    1 C. peach preserves
    1/4 C. bourbon
    1/4 C. chili sauce
    1 1/2 t. OLD BAY® Seasoning

1)) Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and heat to boiling.

OTOH, getting back to Hoss’s comment about sausage:
    I do trim out the ribs to put into my sausage meat and make a lot of sausage, which it a hit with the family!
    SOOOO….If you’re making sausage here is a good place to start:

North Portage, Fresh “Country Style” Sausage

10 # ground venison
    5# ground pork and pork fat
    2 t. garlic powder
    1 t. marjoram
    2 t. savory
    3 t. salt
    2 t. sage
    1 t. red pepper

Freeze in bulk packages or patties, but do double wrap to help preserve the pork.
    This will hold in the freezer, very well, for at least 6 months…Perhaps longer, but 1 year will most likely be the MAX!
  • ranger ray
    Options
    no offense.... but they are not worth the trouble.... deer fat has a different taste from that of beef or pork,,,, there's hardly any meat on deer ribs...give 'em a try but don't expect to be delighted.i tried 'em once .... once being the key word....ray
  • Anthony
    Anthony Posts: 40
    Options
    deer fat is very tallowy. not good eats.
  • Dust9000
    Options
    not worth is. Trash
  • OzarkQ
    Options
    Thanks all - sausage it is!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    As for making sausage...Keep in mind that you also want to keep as much of the tallow (I try very hard for none!)out of the sausage.
    Some people like the taste...I don't!
  • OzarkQ
    Options
    I'm interested in trying this sausage recipe with the venison I have right now in the cooler... but I don't know anything about making sausage, except for grinding venison with fat and making patties to freeze and cook later. If I wanted to try to make links - do you put them in casings and then freeze or smoke or??

Geoff

Mr. & Mrs Potatohead wrote:
    SOOOO….If you’re making sausage here is a good place to start:

North Portage, Fresh “Country Style” Sausage

10 # ground venison
    5# ground pork and pork fat
    2 t. garlic powder
    1 t. marjoram
    2 t. savory
    3 t. salt
    2 t. sage
    1 t. red pepper

Freeze in bulk packages or patties, but do double wrap to help preserve the pork.
    This will hold in the freezer, very well, for at least 6 months…Perhaps longer, but 1 year will most likely be the MAX!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Sorry about the SLOW come-back!! My computer has been in for repairs….
    You can do either. I tend to make up the sausage and freeze it, which then gives option to being able to just cook it up (in a bit of water on the stove, roasted in the oven or grilled / smoked.
    Rule of thumb is that it will keep in the freezer for six months (mostly because of the pork, I would guess), but I’ve kept some for a year with NO ill effect on the taste.
    Good luck!