Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home Theater Receiver Opinions

Options
SoonerChris
SoonerChris Posts: 302
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I've narrowed it down to these two. Anybody have opinions of either?

Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K
Onkyo TX-SR607

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    What, no Bose? :huh:
  • SoonerChris
    Options
    You really don't want my opinion of Bose. :S Anyways, they don't make a A/V receiver that scales video to 1080p.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    It's been awhile since I had to rack my brain on details of all the options to look for in an A/V rec'r, but first thing that comes to mind is the wattage output.
    5.1 or 7.1? Maybe even something else that is newer than when I last looked.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I will second that.I was the first Bose dealer in Maryland and I stated the true facts on their 901 speaker system but it was to a Bose factory shopper.The rest was history.I carried Quad electrostatic speakers from England,Bozak,AR,Klipsh,JBL,Cizek to mention a few of the best around.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Well, I really like the Klipsh folded horns, but for my needs, Bose works just fine. I am strictly small potatoes.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I have a Denon with my home theater. But the thing is so old it runs on steam LOL

Still sounds good though.

Spring "Home On The Range Theater" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • GatorEgg
    Options
    I have the Bose lifestyle systems and they send me a new CD when they upgrade to a newer version. I have a Blue Ray player and matched with the quality of Bose... its awesome. With the options available these days, you will most likely be satisfied with what ever you decide on. Good luck!
  • DrugCoder
    DrugCoder Posts: 219
    Options
    I just got the Yamaha 665 which is in the same class as those two. It is a 7.2 system and I am very happy with it. For me it came down to the Yamaha and the same Pioneer that you mentioned. The only reason I went with the Yamaha was it was on sale that weekend.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    I'm sure not what the others in your line up were...but at this relatively low price point...its pretty much a toss up between these two brands.

My first inclination is to get something with better sonics....but I don't know what your priorities are as to sound quality.

Additionally... (on the video side)i'd rather see you get a better DVD player that does its own scaling...than have the receiver do it at the price points you're referencing here.

Frankly....you'd be much better off purchasing a higher quality pre owned receiver!

Good luck...and have fun!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • GatorEgg
    Options
    That's the $64,000 question, go with what your ear deserves. No one gets out alive
  • stones
    stones Posts: 61
    Options
    stay away from yamaha! myself and two friends had dsp A1000's all have crossoverer and electical problems. my other system is a screening room, McIntosh
    with M&K frnt speakers and Mcintosh in wall rear surround. Sound is great. Look on ebay or Craig's for some B stock McIntosh. Its well worth it.
  • stones
    stones Posts: 61
    Options
    stay away from yamaha! myself and two friends had dsp A1000's all have crossoverer and electical problems. my other system is a screening room, McIntosh
    with M&K frnt speakers and Mcintosh in wall rear surround. Sound is great. Look on ebay or Craig's for some B stock McIntosh. Its well worth it.
  • SoonerChris
    Options
    Well the decision was made for me. The Harman Kardon store on eBay is selling referb AVR254 and 354s. Placed a bid on a 254, went to bed, and won. Got it for $243 shipped. Not a bad deal if I say so...