Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks

db
db Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone tell me the minimum amount of lump needed to attain a 600 deg sear on my steaks. I've done steaks three times now and when I shut the egg down after the sear, I get the distinctive smell of the dreaded incomplete combustion. I'm thinking that if I use just enough lump (completely turned to red coals) for the sear, then finish it off
with the lid up, this might reduce the temp at the grill and avoid the
lack of air problem. The egg already cooks the best steaks I ever ate.
Maybe we can improve on it even further.
db

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    db,[p]Don't know all the answers to your specific questions. However, I can honestly say that I have a Small BGE and I clean out all coals and ashes before every use. It takes less that a minute and if I use gloves or bags or whatever I don't even get dirty. The end result are temps greatly exceeding the 800 degree F level with less than 15 minutes. This is not to say you can't achieve these temps without the meticulous care I give my Egg, all I'm saying is that one way I guarantee you to be able to reach those temps is to spend a few minutes removing old charcoal and ash. Once you do this, getting the Egg into insane temps is no problem at all.
  • Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    db, a STRONG second to Cornfed's comments. I, too, do a complete clean-out of ashes/coals after each use. I really does only take a minute. Maybe I use too much lump, but I really load that baby up no matter what I'm cooking. It works great. I had to learn, however, to start controlling the temp BEFORE it got too high. It was difficult to bring it back down when I let it get too high. I've never had that TASTE you mentioned. Don't really know why except that perhaps the cleaning and a real full load reduces that possibility. Good luck and I'm sure others in the forum with a lot more experience than I have can offer more insight into this issue.

• db,
    jest my observations using my BGE compared to my weber and my larger "hog" type cookers. I don't worry about getting up to "600" degree mark. I get the lump going good (red coals all over) then add my soaked wood and let that really start smokin'. Then, I grill the steaks (KC strips 2" thick prefered) for 2 minutes each side with both vents wide open and the dome closed. I then closed the daisy wheel and the bottom vent for max. 5 minutes. Result is medium rare to medium steaks. I've never smelled the unburnt combustion odor you're refering too! My weber, I sear them for 3 minutes on each side and then close the lid with vents open and cook each side 6 to 7 minutes. Same results, but a longer cooking time! This runs pretty much the same on the big cookers too! I've gotten to the point, I buy a whole KC strip in a bag and then cut my own steaks. The butcher here locally charges me more to cut thicker steaks (he prefers 3/4" to 1" cuts)than he's got in the case. If I can hold off, I go down to my brother in SE Missiouri and buy in quanity from him. He's a butcher and gets me better prices, and better grades of meat. I only do that once or twice a year though, so I'm still at the mercy of my local butcher most of the year! I always have lump left over when I get thru, so I know I'm not using all I loaded the Egg/Eggs with.
    Just my observations though. I hope this helps![p]Dr. Chicken

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    steak2.jpg
    <p />db,
    As others mentioned - you don't need to go upto 600-700 deg to cook a steak, but I like the chared sear myself. Don't worry about how much lump you need - fill the firebox 3/4 full to full. When you cap off the Egg the fire goes out (albeit slowly) and you can use the left over lump next time. You need alot at these temps. Filler-up and light from under the grate if you can - it seems to make a grilling fire faster. [p]I did these filets last night at 650 deg for 3 min on a side and 3 more in the closed Egg. [p]Tim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    STEAKS
    <p />db,
    Like the other folks have said, I fill the firebox up.
    Clean out all ash, and let er rip. [p]IMO, you need at least 700 to sear steaks optimally. I find that after the thermometer laps around past 100, that is when the steaks taste best.[p]Once your fire us cranking like a furnace, you will never get that "incomplete combustion" flavor. And your steaks will sear very quickly with all juices inside!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Nature Boy, nice looking pics! I think I'm getting ready for dinner.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,[p]Put them back on for another minute and I'll be right up. Those look really nice. Good sear pattern one the left one![p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Tim M,
    Thanks. Doesn't get much better as far as eating goes.
    Simple. Quick. Good.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Nature Boy,
    How did you do that with the pictures? I've never seen sear marks sparkle before.

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Nature Boy,
    those pics make me want to cry....that is because Im so sad being here rather then at that dinner table eating those PERFECT steaks.....

• Nature Boy
    JimW,
    LOL. Sparkling sear marks. Must be a natural phenomenon that comes from cooking steak on an egg! I just used a canon rebel with built in flash. Processed film and scanned! Photography was my minor in college, but these pictures are mere point-n-shoots.

DizzyPigBBQ.com