Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Attempt @ BBB

Options
Sooner Egg
Sooner Egg Posts: 578
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
this was my 2nd attempt at BBB, this of course being canadian style.....I used hickory, didn't soak as long as the 1st one and pulled it at 140, it turned out excellent, great flavor and very juicy....will need to invest in a meat slicer if I keep doing these

the chef smokin away @ 180 degrees
lump246.jpg

resting and waiting to be sliced
lump248.jpg

sliced thick to start off and then sliced the rest thin
lump251.jpg

gotta thank Thirdeye and many others who have offered advice on cooking BBB, couldn't have gotten it done right without the guidance of this forum

Comments

• HAWKEYEGG
    Options
    Looks great how long was the cook time? Was there any marinade or rub involved?
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    I used no marinade or rub, it was cured in the fridge for 6 days, soaked in water for an hour, rested in the fridge for about 6 hours and cooked for apprx 2.5 hours(this is purely an estimate since I didn't pay attention to time but rather the internal meat temp) at temps ranging from 180-200 and pulled when the internal temp was 140 degrees
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    I am trying to help with the slicing so please don't take this as I am picking on you.
    By looking at the picture you are using your knife as a saw. It is a mistake that people that don't use a knife much make.
    I was a meat cutter for 27 years I now push a keyboard.
    Start at the heal of the knife and pull it through to the tip in one slice with BBB it will be enough with the knife I see in the picture.
    Hope this helps.
    E
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    Thanks for the tip :) I will certainly give it a try the next time I use that knife on something
  • Plumbr44
    Plumbr44 Posts: 212
    Options
    I think I have that same knife!! A Furi by Rachel Ray?
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    naw it's a KitchenAid knife my wife picked up on a clearance shelf at Target I think.....the orange handle throws you off :P
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I think I am guilty of "sawing" too.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    lump251.jpg

Oh yeah, that came out really nice.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • O
    O Posts: 25
    Options
    IM SORRY,WHATS BBB?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Welcome to the neighborhood....

BBB is Buckboard Bacon. It starts off as a boneless Boston butt or a boneless pork loin, then it is dry cured for a week or longer (depending on the thickness of the meat) then rinsed, rested, and finally smoked.

The butt bacon resembles ham, but it's more marbled. The loin bacon is like Canadian bacon.

BuckBoard Bacon
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    Thirdeye,
    Thanks SO much for linking to your write up about what BBB is...
    This forum is an amazing place! Folks are SO helpful and passionate about their cooking and helping others.
    I had never heard about this BBB before, even though it has so much history...
    Really, I can't WAIT to try it!
    Maybe a (cheap) meat slicer would be an investment...
    I can see plenty of jobs for it in the future, my BGE and I...
    Thanks again!
    RicklessssssssS in Oregon