Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE charcoal

Options
bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just out of curiosity, what is the average going price for a bag of BGE charcoal? I just bought 3 bags last night for $47! There's gotta be a cheaper source out there somewhere, but here in central PA, it's hiding! I've been able to find lump only at my BGE dealer.
bd

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]My BGE shop is over an hour away and their price is about $16/bag. I can get Royal Oak Lump (manufacturers of BGE lump) for $6/bag in town. I looked all over and finally found it at a local garden shop and they carry it all year round in stock so I never have to stock up, its always available when I need it. True Value carrys is (though I've heard rumors that they may have discontinued it???). Most would have to order it for you, search the archives for the SKU number. They will be happy to order it for you. When I was looking I think they said that they could get it for about $8/bag. Others buy it as some grocery chains, not sure. They'll chime in here to help out shortly. Hope this helps. Look around town, you'll hopefully end up finding it locally. It will show up in the seemingly oddest place. Exhaust the phone book sources, its worth the effort to have a local distributor/supplier of lump.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Barbecues Galore here sells BGE lump for 12 bucks/20 lbs.
    I have to go get some more soes I can cook dat eggfest chunk-o-chest tomorrow. 10 bucks for Buckeye-by Royal Oak, at True-Value, but a lot of dust and smaller chunks. Rough handling??[p]Over $15/bag sounds a bit steep. Have you searched around??[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bdavidson
    Options
    Nature BOy,
    Oh, have I searched! BBQ just isn't that big up here. I don't know why, though. Perhaps it will start catching on. Given the fact that I'll be out of town (and away from my egg) for about a month this summer, my cache should hold me until the end of July to the beginning of August. Of course, depending on new recipe aquisitions on Saturday, I will likely be smokin' more over the next several weeks. In which case, my supply will last me until mid June!!!

• bdavidson
    Options
    sprinter,
    You know, my wife would probably not be too pleased, but if I could find it at a reasonable price, I'd buy a palate's worth of charcoal and store it in the garage. (she'd have to park in the driveway :-)) I'll check out the local True Value store. At last check, they had only briquettes, but perhaps they'll order it for me.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Hey, you're in luck. I get very good Egg-quality lump charcoal here for 7.99/20 lb bag. Email me and I'll give you the particulars and perhaps I can get at least one bag to you at EggFest if I can fit it in the car!
    Cheers,
    G.

• sprinter
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]DO check the archives and get the True Value number. When I approached the True Value clerk they said that they couldnt get it. When I gave him his own product number and told him to look in his catalog for it, he took an interest. He was a bit put off but when I said that I'd order 6-8 bags he calmed down and was very helpful. Again, I'm not 100% certain that they still carry it, there were rumors taht they dont. But, its worth a shot. Good Luck.[p]Troy
  • bdavidson
    Options
    sprinter,
    Thanks, I'll look into it.
    bd

• Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]My local dealer charges over $16 for a bag including tax. I used to stock up on it whenever I visited my parents in Gulf Shores where the dealer charges (charged?) about $12 a bag. I am a very loyal BGE customer, but I couldn't continue to pay that kind of money for charcoal, and have since switched to another Royal Oak label that I can buy for less than $8 a 20 pound bag from the local Publix grocery store.[p]Brant
  • bdavidson,[p]The True Value number for lump is 145607 and they should be able to easily order it for you. The last I ordered was $8.29 for a twenty pound bag. I hope this helps.[p]Steve[p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Sbrinson,
    You're so correct on that one. I dropped by our local True Value tonight and ordered three bags at $8.29 each. Hey, a $4.70 savings or 36% per bag isn't too shabby in my book! It will take a week to get, so one needs to plan ahead, but so what? Ron Pratt

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • McKevin
    McKevin Posts: 47
    Options
    RRP,[p]SKU #63-1022[p]Should get the Tru Value
  • McKevin
    McKevin Posts: 47
    Options
    RRP,[p]Dang!!![p]Sorry, wrong number...
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    sprinter, I take credit for the rumor, but the truth is they were in the process of changing suppliers and the home office assured my Tru-Value store that it would continue to supply charcoal to its stores. They were temporarily not filling charcoal requests but now are fully stocked.
    Cheers..C~W (back to retirement)

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    woodrow, a question for you sir, "what is the stock number one should use when ordering charcoal from true value?"[p]thanks,[p]mr toad

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • sprinter
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Thanks for the clarification. I have a relatively local True Value store that I could use as a backup for my regular suppier, good to know that its still available there.[p]Until we talk again - enjoy retirement[p]Troy