Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leave my egg outside or in garage?

BBQDawg
BBQDawg Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a nice table i built for my egg last year and have just rolled it out from the garage to the driveway every time i want to use it. I have a nice deck on the back of the house and have been thinking of tranfering there on a perm basis. Only thing holding me up is the idea of leaving my baby exposed to the weather -- she cost a pretty penny and don't want any damage to come to her. What do you all do? Inside or outside?

Comments

• Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    I think this one gets asked every year. your new table is going to weather harder than your egg. mine has been outside for over 8 years with only the lids wooden handle showing any weathering.
  • agree also you might use it more if you leave it outside. folks use theirs in all kinds of weather
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    My table is now 9 years old and other than a few things probably only noticeable to me it still looks fine. OTOH I do cover it as soon as it gets cold after use. Many people don't cover but the UV light does as much to wreck the wood and surface as does rain.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I use a cover in the winter

Ross
  • When rolling it out of the garage and setting up on the driveway I would recommend you position it so the front of the egg is facing away from the garage (and anything else other than concrete or lawn). That way if a spark pops out of the lower vent you won't have to worry about a fire.
    As for being in the weather, the shell of the egg will whiten a little, the metal parts will get a little rusty, but it will still cook as before.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Ross,

Winter?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RiverFarm
    RiverFarm Posts: 216
    My question was whether to set up my egg on a brick patio across the driveway or on our screened porch. I was relieved to find out that the screened porch was a perfectly acceptable option, since it's a lot easier for us to cook in a sheltered location away from sun and rain and bugs. I would think that for you it would depend on what would be most convenient. For us it was the porch; for you it might be the deck. You can always cover it.
  • I leave mine outside. I live in Atlanta, so lately if I didn't leave it out in the rain, I would never get to use it. Seriously I cover mine with a big green egg cover, but don't think anything would happen if I did not. They are very durable... I'ld be more leary of the table and making sure that was weatherized.

Wet%20Weather%20Setup.jpg
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I had to chuckle to myself because I was wondering the same thing. I cover my LulaQ once its cooled off...rain or shine, so the idea of leaving her out in the ice, sleet, snow and wind make me feel like a bad parent. OTOH I know I won't use it as much if I put it in the garage, and I'm cramped for space. The thing that was funny to me was that winter means something very different in Iowa. I relate more closely to the experience from Maryland, Minnesota and Canada than to Ventura or Atlanta. Just sayin'. :blush:

Gonna go for it! Moved the mini onto the deck, and will wheel the large up next the garage for some protection, I'll just move it away when its time to cook.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    You can have a cover made for the table and egg. Here's a url you can look at for ideas: http://coverworks.nakedwhiz.com/

I'm leaving my out all winter and cooking on it.
  • Jerry: Is that metal rain-cap something off the shelf or custom made? If its off the shelf, what is it/where do I buy it?
  • Lo and behold the answer is a couple messages down from bbqmyway. I guess I'll check out lowes.
  • I leave my Mini out. I think that it can take the rain, snow and the UV here in Reno, NV. I will report if anything out of the ordinary happens.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    The Egg is not afraid of weather. Leave it out.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    My Medium has been outside in the Midwest for 11 years. I have a 1 year old Large that's been right beside it for a year. Both of them look like they came from the factory yesterday (except for the handles, the black lining and the greasy original felt gaskets).

Oh, no covers, either.