Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket question

reelgem
reelgem Posts: 4,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I did my first clean burn on my egg. I completely destroyed the gasket when I did this.
I know there are different opinions on gaskets. Some people say you don't really need one. They obviously have a reason for a gasket.
Also is there a tutorial somewhere on how to put a new gasket on if I decide to put one back on.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Pork Butt Mike bought one that was self adhesive.Contronics,I think.It's probably the easiest install.If I were to replace mine,I think I would just put the bottom on more to act as a cushion when closing than anything.
  • The new nomex gasket holds up to the heat much better than the felt. Scrape off all of the old gasket, and clean off all of the glue. Alcohol works better than the acetone that BGE recommends. I wet rags with alcohol and placed them on the rim where I was not working. Getting all the glue off will take a lot of elbow grease. 3M Super 77 is the recommended adhesive. You can either tape everything off to protect from overspray and spray it on, or spray some in a jar and brush it on. Put the glue on both the gasket and the rim. Let it get tacky before putting the gasket in place. Don't apply the glue over the entire area at once, work in smaller sections. Before any of this, throw the gasket in the dryer on high heat for about 20 minutes. It will shrink from heat, so you want it to shrink before applying it. Good luck.
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Hi

You just found out a great way to not only clean egg,
    but remove most or all of adhesive to hold on gasket.
    you saved a lot of scraping time by cleaning out egg.
    Now call customer service at BGE and they will send you
    a new Nomex gasket. then go to www.fredsmusicandbbq.com
    web-site and he shows you how to put on new gasket.
    just be careful next time when you burn out egg, cause
    getting it say over 700 degrees for very long, may
    loosen gasket. the nomex holds up, its the adhesive
    supper 77 that will probably melt under those heat
    conditions. will learn with experience.
    last when put on new nomex, where they join put on some
    high heat automotive gasket sealer. less likely to come apart and shrink that way. good luck BullyC
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Anne....Bubba Tim has replaced all our gaskets with coltronix. They are self adhering, so no mess with glues, etc. We have been using them for years, and have never had any issues.

Here is a bit of a tutorial he has done on the subject. Arrow down, and you will see step by step pictures.

http://www.bubbatim.com/Projects.php

Wish you the best! (We have loved these gaskets)
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    the Cotronics gasket Hoss talked about is
    rated very good, But I talked with those people
    and getting a gasket from them is expensive, you will
    spend over 70 bucks easily cause of there shipping
    cost, plus if dont spend a minimum they charge
    you a 15 dollar more fee. Last I talked with one of there techs who was nice but told me the self adhesive
    they use on there gasket is NOT high heat resistant.
    Having said that other people on this site swear by them. No matter what when putting on a gasket in a circle on egg, I think one needs a adhesive that starts
    holding as soon as gasket is applied. so good luck.
    Again there co name is Cotronics BullyC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    my personal preference is no gasket, second choice would be rutland or coltronics with the approppriate cement (ask rrp how to read the codes on the rutland cement, it has an experation date thats hidden in codes). third choice would be rutland or cortland with sticky back (fails around 900 degrees, i cook at 900 plus so not for me but would be fine for most sane folks). last choice would be nomex, would never even consider felt.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • reelgem
    Thanks Hoss, I'll have to look that up or better yet I'll talk to Mike.
  • reelgem
    Thanks Michelle, I don't know if you read the above thread from BullyC about the adhesive not being high heat resistant. From what you're saying you obviously havent' had any problems with it.
    I'm definitely going to order one. I like the fact that they are self adhesive.
    Thanks for the link to Bubba Tim's website. I've been there before and he really has some great information.
  • reelgem
    Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Anne....We have done plenty of clean burns, high heat cooks, etc....and these gaskets have never blinked. In fact, if you want additional opinions, Vidalia has a mini that we installed this gasket on. You can always see how he feels about it, too. :)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Anne,

Define destroyed :laugh: A little dab'l do ya.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• reelgem
    Thanks for the information. Even though they are pricey I think I'm going to go with the Coltronics. I don't do any high temp cooks on this particular egg. I do most high temps on my small egg.
  • fishlessman
    you wont need to worry about typical high temp cooks with that gasket. its the nontypical 900 degree cooks over several hours that will cook the glue, nobody is doing that except one idiot that goes by fishlessman ;) little steven has a good point. if its just black and crispy looking you can just reset the dome and continue cooking. when i get a new egg, i pray for that to happen as it works for years before shrinking to the point that reseating the dome doesnt work anymore. the gasket aids a little in shutting the egg down so it burns just a little less lump, doesnt seem to effect temp control, and really is to cushion the dome from slamming ceramic to ceramic for what its worth.
    fukahwee maine

• reelgem
    Destroyed - as in gone, non-existant, ruined, wrecked, damaged, totaled, finished, done for, kaput :)
  • reelgem
    I'm sold on this one Michelle. I appreciate the info. Going to get one ordered.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Anne,

But is really destroyed? An ex-parrot perhaps..is it nailed to the perch?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Anne,, I have the rutland on all three and love it. I would go rutland or like Tim and Mike with the coltronics
  • reelgem
    LOL!! What on earth could you possibly cook for several hours at 900 degrees.
    The gasket is completely gone, today when I was smoking some pork loins there was smoke leaking out all the way around the egg. I definitely need to replace it.
    Thanks again!
  • fishlessman
    i did about 6 pizzas one night over two hours with a dome temp at 900 in the begining with the last pie around 1200 degrees cooked in 53 seconds. ;) gotta push the edge :laugh: just so you know, smoke leaking out of a smoker isnt a problem either, i have a 1/8 gap in mine without gaskets :laugh: it leaks like a seive
    fukahwee maine

• reelgem
    Thanks Pat, I'm going to go with the Coltronics.
  • fishlessman
    heres a 1200 degree pie, the rightup says 1100 but my short teltru reads about 10 percent low and i forgot to take that into consideration. anyways it was HOT :laugh: :laugh:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=411252
    fukahwee maine

• reelgem
    Thanks everyone for your help. From everything I've read I've decided to go with the Coltronics.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    I'm having good luck with nomex and have a supply for both the med and mini but will not use it after the supply is used up as the nomex wicks water inside the egg durng rain storms. So I'll try Rutland or Coltronics maybe sooner if I can find it cheap.