Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT

Options
flajoker
flajoker Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is proper way to cook abt. Direct or indirect cook. I have to make them for me and my brother-in-laws tomorrow. What would be the correct temp. and how long to cook.
Jack

Comments

• Coleslaw
    Options
    flajoker,
    Cook 'em direct. I think I did mine at about 350'ish the last time I did them on the egg. When the bacon is done, the abt's are done. I managed to burn a few New Year's Eve (something about a drink called Yucca?)and they still went faster than dollar bills!

• flajoker,
    I'm no expert, but I've cooked ABTs the last three weeks in a row, and there's no end in sight.[p]I cook mine indirect between 300 and 325 for about 45 minutes. I don't stuff mine with meat (just cream cheese) so the only thing I need to cook is the bacon. [p]I wrap my bacon so it goes around twice.

• Coleslaw
    Options
    flajoker,
    Also, try a bit of sweet/spicy bbq sauce under the cream cheese....

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    flajoker,[p]There probably isn't one, fixed, proper way to do these. That's what makes them interesting. I do mine "sno-cone" style in an ABT grill, indirect, ~275-300° for 45 minutes to an hour. I found I was getting the tips of the peppers a bit burned before the bacon was done, thus why I switched to indirect.
  • flajoker
    Options
    Direct or indirect, sounds good either way. What kind of pan or cookie sheet works best?
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    flajoker,
    We do ours direct on a raised grill. We prefer the boat style. Here is a page with all the details on how we do them.[p]~nikki

[ul][li]ABT's[/ul]
  • flajoker,
    I have a mesh pizza tray that I use. Even though I cook indirect, I like the holes so the grease can fall away from the ABT's as they cook.

• flajoker,
    cook em direct like nikkig said, except lay off the bacon a bit , just a blanket accross the boat is plenty. I find it is not impossible to give your health at least some consideration and still eat plenty gooood.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    flajoker,[p]We do the boat style also...slice in half, fill, wrap, then onto a veggie grid (look like a baking sheet full of holes) and cooked direct on a raised grid at a dome temp of 325° or so. I don't like to get them much hotter than that or you risk burning the grease from the bacon. See the thread below on the ones we did recently...[p]QBabe
    :~)

[ul][li]ABT Thread[/ul]
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    339636%3A723232%7Ffp6%3A%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3Dxroqdf%3E232335%3A85%3B666ot1lsi
    <p />flajoker,
    I do mine direct @ 350° for about 30 minutes and turn 3 or 4 times. I close the bottom vent almost completely. I seldom use extra smoke. I also found that cutting them into smaller pieces makes it easier for folks to eat. I prefer using cocktail sausauges for the meat and like thin-sliced bacon better because it tends to stretch better. The only complaints I've received so far is that I didn't make enough.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Those sure look good, but there's only 14 of them. What's up with that?[p]I'm making some today. They fit in the Atkins plan. Now it's back to some low carb beer again. Rolling Rock has a new one out with only 2.6 grams of carb and it tastes better than Mich Ultra.[p]We hit 83 degrees yesterday. Unbelivable for January in Texas.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    nikkig,[p]Disclaimer: I've never made ABT's (though I plan to soon).
    Claimer: I use jalapenos in everything but grits and chocolate cake.[p]Contribution(?): Easiest way to remove veins and seeds from split jalapenos is to scrape them out with a spoon.[p]Ken

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I use a spoon too, but it's a serrated edged one made for eating grapefruit. Works great!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]Hi Ed. That's an old photo. I was just telling Chef Wil that I tend to be impatient and have me a rum 'n coke while making my ABT's. But in true Texan fashion, my patience runs out and I eat the first one that even looks close to being done. Naturally, I burn my mouth and have to cool it down with another rum 'n coke. Not learning from the first rush to judgement I try another ABT and, of course another rum 'n coke. 'fore long the pile of ABT's is getting smaller and I'm getting snockered. Happy, but three sheets in the wind. Here in Houston, that makes me the designated driver. Fortunately, I have enough sense to stay in my back yard and enjoy life, not challenge it.[p]I'm not supposed to be drinking rum 'n cokes on this diet so I may try the beer. Thanks for the tip.[p]The weather is kinda strange for January. I went for a ride on Houston's new rail line yesterday and wore shorts. In fact, most folks were dressed for summer. Today it is supposed to be even warmer. Already, the mosquitoes are attacking anything and everything that offers blood. I would hate to take a really fresh steak out there right now. I think it would be sucked dry in a flash.[p]Gottageaux get me some new fire extinguishers. I have too much invested in this house to see it go up in smoke. I also want to put one next to my Big Green Egg BBQ Center. You just never know...[p]Happy New Year[p]Spring Chicken
  • glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    flajoker,
    I will put in my 2 cents worth
    I dont use just plain cream cheese
    I use a mixture of 8 ounces of sofened cream cheese and 8 ounces of shredded pepper jack seasond with 1/2 teaspoon of caynne and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin then I mix the cheese. I typicaly use pulled pork or barbque pulled pork for the meat. I cut the peppers in half length ways and remove the veins and seeds. I leave just a little of the pith at the stem end of the pepper so that it looks like a little boat.(Also makes the last bite have a little more heat than the rest of the abt)
    In my neighbor hood jalepenos come in 3 colors green, red and black I find the black ones to be the mildest.
    I put the meat in first then cover it with the cheese mixture (if you put the meat on last it will tend to be a little dry or overcooked) then wrap completly with bacon,
    stretch the bacon as you wrap like an ace bandage starting at the back and wraping toward the front.
    (the thin sliced bacon works best) I never use tooth picks, but some folks do.
    I do mine direct on a raised grid at 300/350 untill the bacon is done( about 20 /25 minutes )also be sure to place them on the grid cheese side up.makes a mess if you let em turn over.
    then I just remove the raised grid with the peppers still in place and let it all set for about 10 minutes to let the bacon crisp before I serve em.
    I makem in batches of 50 (cause that is all my raised grid will hold) they never last more than a few minutes.
    That my method and it seves me well.
    Hope it helps
    Glenn [p]