Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking 5-Minute Artisan Bread in the Egg

Options
RiverFarm
RiverFarm Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have some semolina bread rising on my counter right now, and I'm planning to bake at least some of it in the Egg. It doesn't look as though I can fit both a clay loaf pan and the pizza stone on the plate setter of my large Egg, so I'll probably do the pan in the regular oven and the boule in the Egg. I'm assuming that I would get the Egg preheated to the 450 that the recipe calls for?

My Thermapen isn't here yet so I'm going to have to eyeball it for doneness.

Tips?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    this is how ive done the boules before, no platesetter, stone over a metal pan, add a little water to the pan when putting the bread on to steam/ crust up the boule. i think one of the links has the full details. if your lower in the dome than this you will want to raise the dome temp from your oven directions, 475/500, because lower in the dome with a platesetter is cooler than dome temps
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=321427&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    I don't have a double rack, just what came with the large egg plus the plate setter and a pizza stone, so I may try ClayQ's setup instead. I thought I didn't need to add the usual water for steaming if I was using the egg, but I'll try that if you say so. Thanks for the reference to that thread!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    you dont need to add the water, but the extra steam does make the crust even crustier, something i wanted the way i was going to serve it.
    fukahwee maine

• Cactus Doug
    Options
    I have baked this bread before. I setup platesetter legs up w. drip pan for water, then cooking grid, then pizza stone on top. Also I agree with going a little hotter, 475 to 500 dome temp.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Some time ago they posted on the ABin5 site that they had good success covering the boule with a disposable aluminum pan for the first 10 minutes or so of the baking - no worries on dealing with water splashing, etc. http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=510

I haven't tried this on the Egg, but it works well in the regular oven.

For the Egg I've just used my pizza set-up of platesetter legs down, grate, pizza stone. But that's because I've only baked using the residual heat after the pizza is done. I shut the lower vent and put the ceramic top on. The only downside is that I don't get the nice crust color; the loaves come out kind of pale (but heck, the Egg was already hot and I'm not using any more charcoal this way).
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • fishlessman
    Options
    thanks for the read, something new to try. not sure why, but i forgot the slice marks on top and non of the ones ive done cracked on top. im thinking it was that quick splash of steam that helped it. will try the lasagna pan though, with my setup i could only make one at a time, cooking lower would be a plus i think :)
    fukahwee maine

• RiverFarm
    Options
    Okay, I've got the dough rising in a banetton to help with the shape of my boule, and the charcoal is heating up my egg, which has the platesetter with legs up, grill on plate setter legs, pizza stone on grill, and aluminum pie pan on plate setter under grill. We shall see.....

Thanks, people!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    if its a decent size, make sure to swipe the stone with a damp towel, not wet, just before putting the dough on. helps to cool the stone and not burn the bottom with a big piece like a boule.
    fukahwee maine

• RiverFarm
    Options
    Whoops! It's in already. Oh, well, we'll see how it goes. I have one in my oven, in the loaf pan, and one from the banetton in the egg. I remembered the cornstarch wash and the slashes, at least. Semolina also gets sesame seeds on top.