Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Cooking

Options
Mustang Sally
Mustang Sally Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have not seen much mentioned on the forum about cooking with a dutch oven and I was wondering if anyone did this? I recently purchased a 6 quart "Lodge" brand cast iron dutch oven and am looking for ideas.
As for my New Years day Egg cooking....beyond belief wonderful! Cooked a 5lb, 3 bone prime rib-seasoned with olive oil and Montreal Steak Seasoning. Seared in first then cooked about 2 hours at 325. Pulled it at 140degrees, wrapped in saran wrap and foil, put in cooler and waited for the rest of the meal to finish. This included
6 racks of baby back ribs cooked in a rib holder. they were perfect!
Then, I decided that since the egg was still hot and I was already flavored with the essence of smoke, I would cook up a bag of
chicken hindquarters. After supper I threw those on... enough to cover the entire grill surface. Have I ever cooked such moist chicken in my life? Never! Added some Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce the last 10 min. My husband and boys were loving it. Hubby told me several times what a wonderful meal this was and I had to agree. Thanks to all of you for your words of advice I have never bought a cooking toy that had so many cooking ideas..... Oh, did I mention I have 10 lbs of round eye of round marinating for beef jerky? Guess I will have to put my "smokey" clothes back on. :)

Comments

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Mustang Sally, Great post![p]I've used my cast iron dutch oven frequently, but only recently learned why the lid has all those tiny spike things hanging down.

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Mustang Sally,
    done a chicken and sausage gumbo and a jambalaya a few months ago, tip: use a pizza stone or firebricks when using your dutch so as NOT to kill the seasoning on the outside. Good Luck.

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    The Other Dave,
    What are the spikey thingies in the lid for.
    I am still uneducated.
    thanx Glenn

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Mustang Sally,[p]We use our dutch ovens all the time and they work really well in the eggs...[p]We've done pot roast, chili, spaghetti sauce, stuffed cabbage, seafood gumbo, brunswick stew, baked beans, and also use it for searing roasts, steaks, etc.[p]Check out the pot roast we did not long ago...[p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

[ul][li]Dutch Oven Pot Roast on the Egg[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Mustang Sally,
    while i dont' use a dutch oven per se. .. i do you my le creuset enameled cast iron in the egg all the time. . .chili, baked beans, beef and potatos, etc. . .[p]one thing, leave the lid off. . .the dome of the egg serves as your lid and will retain moisture in your food just fine, along with adding the flavor of whatever you have in your firebox. ..[p]whatever you used to do in your oven, just do it in the egg instead. ...

• The Other Dave
    Options
    Glenn, It's so that the condensation that builds on the cooler lid drips evenly over the top of what is being cooked vs. dropping down the sides. Pretty ingenious, but they shred your cleaning rags.[p]
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    The Other Dave,
    aka tenderizer lid

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Mustang Sally,[p]... and baking bread in a DO is worth it too.[p]Puj
    [ul][li]Dutch Oven Sourdough[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, i usually use the lodge in the egg, but anything with tomatoes in it wrecks the seasoning in the cast iron. how high a temp can the le crueset be brought to without damaging the enamel and is it hard to clean up after the cook.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fishlessman,
    the le creuset will easily handle temps in the same range as an oven, so easily up to 500 degrees (maybe more). .. it will also handle direct flame with no problem as it is designed to be used on a stove top as well. . .one thing you can't do is subject the lids to high oven (egg) heats due to the knob handle on the lids. .. they are made of something not designed to handle more than about 350 degrees. . .but i never use the lids in the egg/oven anyway, i only use them on the finished dish to keep it warm. . ..because it is a clean, non-pourous finish, it is very easy to clean with soap and water and when really smokey, a little elbow grease. .. baked on crud comes off easily after soaking for a few hours in soapy water. . .

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    are you telling me you are not yet coating the outside of the pot with unscented shaving cream?????? your wyoming connection is not happy that you are not following directions!!!! (besides which, it makes life sooooooo much easier)

• Mustang Sally
    Options
    Chef Wil and all who answered my question...
    Does the seasoning get "killed" from the smoke residue? I have not yet seasoned this pot. I have an old Wagner Drip Drop cast iron skillet that has the moisture ridges running around the lid in the shape of a flower....I love that skillet. Seeing as how I am a "Yankee" I am greatly intrigued by the "Southern" dishes mentioned. I am sure I am not the only one who would like to hear more about the jambalyas, gumbos, greens, blackeyed peas, etc that are local specialties.

• Bluegillman
    Options
    QBabe,
    Seafood combo sounds yummy! How is it made? I had made Seafood Tofo but combo sounds like something else in it?

• Bluegillman
    Options
    Mustang Sally,
    I love doing those Chicken Dumpling in the Dutch Oven. Everyone finishes it up as fast than I can cook it!