Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What should a newbie buy??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After checking web sites the last couple of months I know you must all be tired of this question (because I see it over and over agian for each type of cooker), but I must ask it. Why buy an Egg vs. a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker or the traditional sidebox smoker? It appears that the egg has quite the small cooking area (2 ribs would cover the whole cooking area if it wasn't for the rib rack)since so much room is taken up by the egg wall thickness plus all the internal parts. Also, it appears that to really smoke food an additional part is needed to prevent direct heat hitting the meat. Does the Egg really smoke well? Have any of you find the egg to have it's limitations? I'm just trying to figure the the best for a newbie (so I don't and can't spend $1,000 that so many custom smokers cost plus shipping). I know all of you are Egg bias but do you find the egg's pluses to really outweigh it's misses?
Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer
Howard

Comments

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Howard,
    I've been down those other roads before. Egg is definitely the way to go. The large has more than enough cooking area. You can stack your ribs, briskets, etc. with no problem by using a grill extender or just by layering the cook surface with another grate. Last year I smoked a 30.5 lb turkey in my large for Thanksgiving! (It just made it inside the dome, but it fit....) The only extra piece I use for most cooks is a metal pie pan filled with water or beer. You can also increase the ceramic mass below the meat by adding a couple of fire bricks, which you can pick up at any local brickyard for only a couple of bucks, to the grill surface. You just gotta taste it to believe it. If you've already made up your mind to buy the Weber, we won't be able to change it, but suffice it to say that you will never regret getting an Egg.

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Howard,[p]Honestly, what sold me on a BGE was I missed the flavor a charcoal fire after cooking with gas for years. I always HATED starting the briquettes becuase it took so long and was sorta hit-and-miss as to how hot the fire would be. When I learned of the chimney efffect of the egg PLUS using lump charcoal as I fuel, it just seemed to make a lot of sense for what I was missing, i.e., quick starts and charcoal/wood taste.[p]So far as smoking, that has just been a bonus for me, as I was primarily interested in grilling. Can you do a pizza on a WSM? From what I understand, you cannot. High temp sears (600-750+) are a snap on a BGE. [p][p]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Pakak,
    Yes, you can do pizza on a WSM. Check out the virtual weber bullet for details.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Howard,
    The egg will make your life easier. If you like to do low and slow smokes, imagine setting up your egg at 10:30 at night with a 13 pound Boston butt and not opening the dome until 4:30 the next afternoon.
    The large should handle most anything you come up with, within reason.
    The additional part is a plate setter and again, it makes your life easier.
    Bottom line is you can do more with a large egg.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    20racks.jpg
    <p />Howard,
    Well, for me, the advantage is versatility. I can cook anything from 150 degrees to 1000 degrees. It's not about quantity although you can do 20 slabs of ribs or probably 6 or 7 butts if you try hard. You can also grill, roast and bake. So, if you just want to smoke barbecue for large numbers of people, I wouldn't get an Egg. If you want to try all sort of things besides barbecue, it is great fun and a great cooker. BTW, the photo is courtesy of Chef Wil.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    Howard,
    I have done about everything from charcoal grills to gas to water smoker to offset smoker. I cook outside 3 to 4 times every week and love to experiment with new recipes. [p]After admiriing the idea of the BGE for several years, I happened on a sale while we were traveling this past summer. I used it on the rest of our summer travels and throughout the fall. I will never forget the first steaks, the first smoked fish, the first smoked chicken, or the first sour dough bread. People are still priasing my roasted tomato salsa I made while camping last summer. The only time my gas grill has been on was to roast some chilis while the BGE was otherwise engaged. [p]I just gave the offset smoker away to my neighbor and I gave the gas water smoker away last month. I should get rid of the gas grill too but we paid too much for it.[p]I admit to being a bit of a gadget freak but the BGE is the best cooking device I have ever owned

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Ok, I see that now. Thanks. Even though it *says* you can, it doesn't sound like the unit was originally designed for temps higher than a TYPICAL low and slow or about 200-275°. Is that correct?[p]I'm learnin all sorts of stuff I didn't know about other manufacturers. Heck, I didn't even know this world existed until about a year and a half ago. All in all, I'm pretty confident I lucked into getting the product that satisfies my wants and needs best.
  • Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Howard,
    I don't want to change your mind on an egg, heres what I have. [p]1 s/s gas grill ($1200) used to hold my utensils for the egg but I do use the side burner.[p]1 custom grill with side smoking chamber box and sliding meat tray ( $700 ).....takes too much time and wood for a good smoke ring and uses too much briquettes because it is not properly sealed[p]1 Large BGE ($800) very satisfied with the egg and the savings on lump compared to other sources of fuel is worth about a $200 savings per year. I usually fill the fire box and cook 4 or 5 times before reloading it. I use my egg at least twice a week. So in less than 5 years, the savings paid for the egg not to mention the lifetime warranty.[p]Good luck on your purchase.[p]1 Large BGE

• Morning Howard,[p]I think I can probably answer all your questions thru private e-mail as I own all the cookers you are interested in but it's best not to compare on any forum.[p]Drop me a note with your questions and I will get back with you.[p]stam@ccrtc.com[p]Old Dave

• highlander
    Options
    Howard,
    I am a newbie...Only Had The BGE For About A Month....I have been having a ball cooking on it. My Brinkman (SSPro)
    My Webber, and My Holland Grills are taking up space on my patio. One of the best parts of owning a BGE is all the help and advice you get from the Pro's on this site...and of course the taste of the food.
    EggNuff said...........

• grill'nMike
    Options
    Howard,
    I bought my BGE a little over 8 years ago. I can honestly say it was the best money I ever spent on a smoker/grill. About the only thing I havent been able to do with it is smoke cheese. Other than that it is the best smoker I have ever owned not to mention the easiest to use! Another big plus for the BGE is its ability to do whatever type of cooking you want to do. You can bake, roast, grill and sear in addition to smoking. You can also drop in a wok and stir-fry in the thing!
    Before I bought my BGE, I had 3 smokers/gas grills on my deck. Now I have a BGE and cook outside more than ever. The BGE is money well spent if you like excellent food. Good Luck![p]Mike

• grill'nMike
    Options
    Howard,
    I forgot to mention...The BGE does a great job of smoking. You can knock the heat back to 200 to 225 degrees and go right to the cooking grid, or you can use the plate setter for indirect smoking. Both methods produce eggcellent results![p]Mike

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Pakak,
    I'm no WSM expert, but as a SMOKER, it certainly was designed for low temps, but you can take the center section off and use it like a grill, etc. So, whose to know what they designed it for... I'll keep my egg, tho...[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Howard,
    Having owned a Brinkman Water Smoker as well as a Weber Kettle I can speak from experience. Both of these are good units, but having owned a BGE now for several weeks, I can tell you it is a superior cooker. I think two words come to mind: versatile and effortless. The egg is so easy to cook on... and I'm still a novice! Good luck in making what I realize is a big decision.

• Mustang Sally
    Options
    Howard,
    I have only had my egg for a few of weeks (Christmas present) and really love it. This forum is the icing on the cake. I had read about the egg in a couple of magazines and never thought too much about it until I started researching "smokers" on the internet. I have a Brinkman watersmoker and was really tired of spending an entire day cooking a turkey plus feeding it charcoal. Not to mention learning how to cook on it and know what the 3 levels of heat it registered co-incided with on temp...just how hot is "ideal"? Anyway, I read the forum, became a believer and now am a disciple spreading the good word and food! What I like best is that I can cook all day with the same lump charcoal, load after load of meat. New Years day I cooked a 5lb bonein prime rib alongside 4 racks of babyback ribs and still had some room on the grill. After those were done and we had eaten I threw on some chicken hindquarters- enough to cover the surface of grill with no space to spare and these were the absolute best grilled chicken pieces I have ever cooked. Perhaps where you live the ambient temperature isn't a factor but I live in Wisconsin and "baby it's cold outside" plus we get one heck of a wind blowing across the deck. This, of course, caused big problems with my Weber Genesis gas grill's ability to maintain an adequate temperature and I had to angle it so the wind didn't blow out the flame... not to mention the fact that I d running outside in the subzero temperature to constantly check my food. Don't have to do this with the egg, I merely walk to the patio door, look at the temperature gauge and see that it is where I want (because the egg is NOT affected by the cold)and walk away all warm and toasty. Hope this gives you some different thoughts on the egg. The price is daunting but you can find some good prices on the internet and have it shipped to you. I found www.bbqgasgrills.com in florida had the best price including shipping fees and their service was excellent. How much would you pay for a good stove in your kitchen? You will use this grill just as much.