Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

every time i think i have this new purchase

stones
stones Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
figured out it gets to be a harder decision. XL or LG? Table or nest? Guru or no Guru. Its a lot just starting out. Hate to buy the LG just to find out the dealer was right and should have got XL. Ugh..

Comments

• Get the large. Scott
  • Get a large. The XL seems to have a different learning curve from what I see. You don't need a guru. It's not required just a convenience.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Don't over think it -- either decision will make you happy.

The large is a a great cooking machine. You can get a Lg and a Small for about the same price as an XL and have lots of flexibility.

Also, I would not make a choice that caused me to have to skim on the extras. You almost never see a Guru for sale, because people don't like it.

The table is nice, but you can build one at a lower cost if you have access to tools.
  • I have a Large and it works for me. Can feed over 20 people with a single cook. Now if I had to grill for that many, the Large wouldn't do. If you intend to do low/slow go Large. If it's grilling you are after, go XL. Just my thoughts.
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Is this Brett Favre? lol

FWIW- the large is my vote- easier transport, more R&D time, more aftermarket possibilities.

The savings should buy either a SmBGE, or a good amount of food and lump.
  • BayouMark
    BayouMark Posts: 284
    The XL is a HUGE cooking vessel. It requires exponentially more charcoal and does not lend itself to the vast array of accessories available. If you are consistently cooking for 10 people or mor, you may want the XL. I have the table and a large and I do not have a guru. I have done quite a few low and slows with no problems. The guru is a great tool if you like to go about your business during a long cook. And there is no guarantee the guru will keep a poorly made fire going. The bottom line is that heat requires two things, oxygen and fuel. I'm not ranting against the guru. I am simply wanting to master the cooks using natural processes. I'll get a guru some day, just not now. My learning curve is still too long.

Soooooooo, my recommendation is lge with table and go to the ceramic grill store site and third eye's site and look at what's available. Start slow and build on the knowledge you acquire here and you learn on your own. Keep a note book of your cooks and revist them often. Finally share your sucesses with us and your goofs as well--we've all been there--and some of us bought a t-shirt!!!!!!!!! :ermm:
  • I just posted a response to your previous thread.

You don't need a Guru to start. learn to do it without and then decide if you want it or not. You will need a remote thermometer like a Maverick ET-73 or a Polder.

Table vs nest- I went for the table because I felt that would provide a cooking station that I could work with for a long time and expand. Also the cost for nest and Eggmates wasn't much less (if any) than the cost to build my own table ($137). Do you have room for a table? if your space is limited, the nest probably makes more sense.
  • I went through the same frustration. My immediate family is 20 plus for any get togethers. My 6 kids gave me an egg for b'day and I said I had to have an xl.

Our dealer said get the large.

The fact of the matter is unless you need the capacity of the xl every time you cook then go with the large.

It is much more versatile and you can still accomplish large cooks easily.

IMHO the large is the egg of choice.

Now, I did also pick up a mini. Not for more room but because it is so darn funny.

I find myself using the mini alot.

First of all, get the large. 2 large would be better than one xl in my opinion.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Get the Large for these reasons:

1) no one who gets a Large is disappointed or has buyers' remorse - no one. Adding cooking grids vertically gives the Large enormous cooking volume.

2) If you still want more cooking space, get another Egg. That way you can cook simultaneously at different temps.

Mark
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Stones....get the large.....and stop thinking about it. There's always room for another one later...and there will be another one. ;)

The Filly
  • large and a thermopen,, get used to them and buy the 'stuff' later.. my large sits on the feet on concrete so no nest.
    bill
  • The only one that wants you to get a XL is the dealer DAHHHHHHHHH

Ross
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    This is a battle that many before you have waged... I have been there done that too. I have 7 eggs and two of them are larges. they hardly get used. I am more likely to fire up the sm or the mini. I use the large if I am cooking for a group of 25-30 and then only because the other eggs might have something cooking at a diff temp or set up. If I had it to do over again I would do the large in a nest, thermopen and pizza stone and the agj rig from the ceramic grill store. that will do ANYTHING you want to cook. use it and see what YOU need for space as far as the table goes. if you have any used restaurant supply places near you see if they have any used stainless tables. they weather great and clean up good and don't stain and come in all sizes.
    You are wasting good egging time and beating your self up for nothing. go get the freakin egg and cook and be happy :) if you think this decision is hard wait till you have to decide what to cook LOL we started with the large and added the med then the small to take camping and then we needed a baby egg.... it is a sickness so just give in already :evil: Julie :)
  • Julie, why don't you tell us how you really feel :laugh: , Marc
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Go with the XL and get a Lump Reducer from the Ceramic Grill Store. I am not as experienced as a lot of the EGGers but personally I like having more space, even if I am not always going to use it. Get what makes you feel comfortable. In time you could always add more EGGs.
  • EGGARY
    With all due respect, anyone who gets an XL isn't disappointed either.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    You are obviously set on the Xl so just go buy it for Pete's sake. :evil:
  • Mainegg
    I truly hope that my first response was not taken as snitty in any way. :( it was not what I intended at all. I know it is a hard decision and you do not want to get your purchase home only to decide you made the wrong decision. and it is all very eggciting :)I have been egging for about 5 years and just got the guru. I am of the old school and like to know that I can control my egg with out it and and it is there for just the long low and slows to cover my Butts :)and keep them hot enough to not worry about any danger to others eating them. if cost is an issue then the large is a great value. for me if cost was not an issue and I had it to do all over again knowing what I know now.... it would still be the large :) I do get a little excited, no comments from the peanut gallery here guys :evil: but I really do think you are over thinking this :) what ever you decide I have no doubt that you will love your egg and be happy with it. I also have a pretty good notion that it will not be your only egg lol sorry if I offended, :blush: Julie
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I started out with a small. I worked my way up to an XL. Now I have 4 eggs. Can't wait to the XXL comes out next year.
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Get the large.
    Nest or table with wheels if you want to move it around. Both of mine are on nests. I like being able to wheel them under the awning if it is raining. Yes, I know I am a wuss. Remember, the eggs are HEAVY! Having the wheels is a must for me.
    I have 5 in my house I cook for. I use the large most of the time and the medium when it just the wife and I eating or just doing dogs or small items.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Am I the peanut gallery? :whistle: :evil:
  • Mainegg
    Pat, my dear.... you are just one of many nuts on here :whistle:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    OK I won't comment :angry::blush: :laugh: :laugh:
  • HungryMan wrote:
    I started out with a small. I worked my way up to an XL. Now I have 4 eggs. Can't wait to the XXL comes out next year.

XXL?!? Any other noteworthy news for the next year? I know that the Mini was supposed to get a new hinge. Do tell, please.
  • EGGARY
    I might be naive, but is there an XXL in the future ?

Gary
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    This is a pre-recorded message:

I often hear that the large does not have the capacity to cook for a large family.

Let me tell you that is a lot of bull. When my family gets together we are typically 20+. My XL sits there and wishes I would use him.

So here is my proof:

Please note the amount of sausage on this egg:
    IMG_8030-020.jpg

6 7-9 pound butts on this egg:

IMG_8055-033.jpg

Just for contrast please note the amount of meat on this Lang 60:

IMG_8059-035.jpg

I cooked 18 butts on 3 eggs and took up less space.

My XL gets used when I cater and even then it's only used for something that may not physically fit on my large and can't be cut into smaller chunks.

Ohh did I tell you I have 2 small eggs too. You will NOT be disappointed with the Egg, unless you fail to learn how to use it or don't use it. Many of us use it as our primary cooking source year round.
  • When I bought my large in August, I would have never even considered a smaller egg (only me & wife at home). Now after using large for a while I still would repurchase it again, but I can see the value of a smaller egg as well. Guess what I am really saying is that you can fit more on the large than you realize before you actually start cooking on one :cheer:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    and I'll bet 98% of the egging community will agree.

Get the Large and Small combo. You are WAY more versatile than an XL. If the cash doesn't make ya wiggle then you can get another someday if you feel you need more space. I bought a nest, but when I realized ya just gotta have a small, I built a table for the both of'em. A small is an excellent travel companion as well. So is the mini :laugh:
  • stones
    stones Posts: 61
    what's an agi rig?