Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL or LG for newbie????

stones
stones Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well, here's my second post ever. I am getting great info from you guys , thanks.
It came up in my last thread, should i go for a XL or LG egg. I am a total newbie and it was suggested the XL is too much grill for me. Any thoughts???

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I answered your other post. If you can afford a XL and have the space go for it. I have both and have preferred the XL recently
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    I have heard the large has more accessories available and is more versatile than the XL. I have the large and can cook anything I need for a gang of people. If you can, go with large and Med for about the same price as XL and extreme versatility.
  • Crimsongator
    You could buy a large and small for the same price, but probably not the medium.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    It's not that the XL is too much grill but I think most new shoppers don't realize just how much you can fit on the large in one cook. How many times will you need more than 6 butts? and there is one pic floating around of 20 racks or ribs on the large.
  • stones
    i really do get your point. But, besides for spending a few dollars more(really not that much more), is there a disadvantage of having the XL?
  • I broke in a large today. Cooked indirect with platesetter, raised grid and pizza stone. I can already see there are many options and lots of capacity. There are just two of us most of the time.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    not really a disadvantage but 2 steaks will look really small by themselves :ermm: :laugh: I don't own an XL so can only give you insight on the large and with 2 larges and a small my next one will be a mini
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Large/small combo.More versatility same $$$.Money and space no object,buy a set! ;) XL,L,M,S mini!
  • stones
    not that money is no object, just not ready for a collection unless there is a real
    disadvantage to the XL. Hey, who knows, maybe get two XL's one day. :whistle:
  • Crimsongator
    Now you are thinking!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Nothin wrong with that.My dealer rep had an XL,traded it for a large,stated more versatile assessories and temp was easier to control on large.I also got a couple of buddys that have the XL and love it.If it were me I would buy large/small or large/medium combo.I'm sure you'll be happy no matter what you decide.I have a Ranch Kettle and an offset trailer for huge cooks.Therefore the Extra room on an XL is not important to me. B)
  • I started out with 1 XL and still love it. I have since got a couple of Larges and a small. It really depends on what your needs are. The large is the most popular and the most versatile and is my go to egg for most cooks. I do like the XL when grilling for a large number of people and when cooking large briskets and several racks of ribs. The lump consumption is not that much more than a large. If you have a family of 3-4 and don't entertain much the XL may be a bit much. I do a lot of big cooks and I am glad I have the XL but I would not give up my larges or the small either. All that really matters is that it meets your needs and you are happy with it. You will be happy with which ever size you get. :)
  • Crimsongator
    You got a couple of larges, man I idolize you!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Cooking a couple of steaks on an XL is like driving a Hummer to the grocery store. Why get a vehicle that you might use to it's potential once every three years, if that?

Instead of thinking "why not get an XL?" , think "why get an XL"? Unless you are cooking 8 butts at a time on a regular basis.......you dont need one.
  • wildcat
    wildcat Posts: 13
    the only downside to a XL is the height of the dome, I wasn't able to use my turkey stand with a 15 pound turkey like in the ads, but i just laid it in my inverted rib rack and it came out great. someone once said "its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" especially if money is not a major concern.
  • stones
    maybe you guys are right..i could always just spend the extra $$ on Guru or stuff like that. :P
  • SteveinTN
    SteveinTN Posts: 232
    i have had my large 2 years. i have not done much with multi level cooking. but i often cook 8-9 split breast on one rack. I love the large and yes, lots of extra stuff you can get.

Good luck - buy either one you will never look back.
    steve
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I have one large bge and if I was to buy another egg I would get another large because all the eggsessories would interchange. While cooking direct on one egg you can be cooking indirect on the other. Just my 2 cents worth. Tim
  • I have a XL and a medium, just love this combo. Got the XL 3 years ago and the medium this last year. I use both almost every week. Sometimes I have them both smoking at the same time. :laugh: Any egg is better than no egg!