Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to get Egg heat UP, w/out opening?

Options
Green Machine
Green Machine Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey, I've been smoking a pork butt for 17 hours and my heat has dropped below 190. Needs to be at 230 but I can't get it to heat up, even though the top/bottom vents are wide-open.

Any creative suggestions besides opening it and adding charcoal?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    How big is that butt? 17 hours is a long time.
    You can poke up through the bottom grate with a wiggle stick.

If you don't have one. you can make one. Take a coat hanger and straighten it out Bend on end 90 degs so it sticks up about and inch or so.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    If you've been going for 17 hrs, you really need to check your lump.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    What size egg are you on? Did you temp your meat?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Celtic Wolf is right. Your grate holes are probably clogged with ash. The wiggle rod will let you clear them out.

But 17 hours? Seems way long. What's your internal meat temp? I'm wondering if your Egg thermometer is calibrated correctly, maybe it's cooking at a lower temp than it says?
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Green Machine
    Options
    It's a 10 lb. butt on a Large egg. The internal temp. is at 160. I'm shooting for an internal temp. of 200, that about right?
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Yep. Make a wiggle rod like CW said. Did you load the lump to the top of the firering?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Do you have the BGE Ash Tool? If so, the handle end has a curved hook. This makes a perfect wiggle rod. Just open the mesh on the bottom damper, insert the ash tool hook end first, reach in and grab a hole in the grate with the ash tool hook and wiggle the grate. Remove the ash tool, and Bob's Your Uncle. It's a grate ( ;) ) tool.

Mark
  • Green Machine
    Options
    I did the hanger trick and it worked like a charm. Back in business. Thanks fellas and happy grilling.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Don't you mean folks?? :)
    Glad you're back on track.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Molly, dang where's the love eh? :laugh:
  • Kat
    Kat Posts: 46
    Options
    I thought the internal temp for pork should be 160, 200 sounds massively overdone, is that what most do?
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    190°-200° for pulled pork

160° for sliced pork shoulder

140°-145° pork loin and tenderloin
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Just shaking the grate itself may also settle the upper lump and block the air flow through the lump exacerbating the problem.

GG
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    170-175 is better for sliced pork.. let it past most of the plateau
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Makes sense, renders out a bit more fat I suppose.