Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salt info

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since most rubs, seasonings, whatever contain huge amounts of salt, and I am fairly intolerant of large amounts of salt, I did a little snooping. Most cooking we do is done with kosher salt (or maybe sea salt). Found this one little item in kosher salt to be fairly standard:

1/2 cup Morton's kosher = 1 cup Diamond Crystal brand kosher

Mortons is waaay more coarse than Diamond. Since I have a tendency to toss by fist or pinch, this can make a big diff.

Anyway, for some reason felt like passing this along on this fine day.

Shabbat shalom, all

mShark

Comments

•  
    Hi Molly,

I found your statement just a little strange sounding, after all salt is only salt. So out of curiosity I entered your "1/2 cup Morton's kosher = 1 cup Diamond Crystal brand kosher" into my search engine and came up with (among others) this site that confirms exactly your point. Who would a thunk it? I know honey is supposed to be sweeter then sugar but to think one brand was saltier then the next had never occurred to me. Cool, very interesting! I am a salt addict and have been since the day I was born, thanks for the heads up, I never would have guessed it.

Gator

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Hadn't noticed that. Sounds like a good idea to only use one brand all the time.

Thanks for the info!
  • nice thread .. this is exactly why i have been moving toward weighing ingredients rather than volume measurement and bought a better scale that does bakers %
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    I is just the grind that makes the diff, not the salt content itself. The coarser the grind translates to more air inbetween each salt crystal. More air/less salt.

I'm reeeeally sensitive to salt and it just hit me when I used one kind in the same rub combo it came out saltier. Started thinking what the...and after some very good zinfandel, went scientific. Did some snooping and some testing and yeppers. I'm sure various sea salts give diff results because of the grind also.

Isn't life interesting.

mShark