Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

18 lbs of Butt ready 12 hours early

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Checked at 6am and both butts at 194. Not eating till 6:30pm.
Double rapped both with hd alum and wrapped in towels then in ice chest.
Thought 9 pounders would take longer than 10 hours at 250.
THE QUESTION: What do I do for 12 hours?
If needs to go in fridge how long do I leave in cooler?
Do I pull before putting in fridge? Do I place hot in fridge in alum?
How about say an oven at 170, how long could I get by with the oven and ice chest combo? OR still back to fridge?????????????????
Best way to reheat?
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    That is kind of long Mickey... you really don't want to fall below 140 for the meat temp. do you have some fire bricks maybe that you could heat and wrap and put in with them? is the cooler packed full? it will hold its heat longer if there is not any air space. and keep the cooler closed so as not to loose any heat. if you have a remote thermometer that might be a good idea. then you could always pull them when they drop to 140 and place in a crock pot or in pans in the oven. a can of coke will keep it moist if in the oven for long.
    I would stay with the cooler as long as you can.
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    I would vote for 170* oven- has always worked for me. Return them to the cooler about 4:30...

hth

Big T

Nashville TN
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Your dome thermometer must be way off and you cooked at much higher temps then you thought. My butts always take between 16 to 18 hours. Did you check your thermometer prior to cooking?
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Morning,
    I know it is to late now but, was everything calibrated? How long was it at 194? I had some butts do that once then they dropped and held at 180 something for several hours. It was about a 21 hour cook in all. I am sure it will all work out for a some good eats. I vote oven also, now go take a nap :)
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    When this happens to me I just set the oven to 170 and put them in there wrapped in foil. Works fine.

Doug
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    rest 2 hours in cooler and pull. Put in refrig. Heat up in crock pot or anything else if no crock. Add some coke for moisture. Simple Simple. I'll be sending you some guava wood for the next butt.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I have never cooked one that fast either. Normally 18hrs+ for me.
  • DubC Gator
    Options
    How long can you keep it in the oven? Will it affect the moisture of the butt?
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I did it for 6 hours and it stayed wonderfully moist.

Doug
  • Mickey
    Options
    Thanks Julie, I put in fridge after about 2 hours in ice chest.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Tim & Susan thanks for the note. I did what you said and found the temp to be only 10 deg. light. Did fix it...

• Mickey
    Options
    Will use the wood, Thanks Al....