Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ox Tails

Options
EGGLANDS BEST
EGGLANDS BEST Posts: 211
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,

A co worker of mine challenged me to grill/smoke some Oxtails as i have never attempted this feat before i accepted the challenge :whistle: so i would like to know if anyone has ever tried this before and if so could you please off advice on temp time & prep thanks in advance

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Max did some nice ones awhile back.

Stew, Beef, Oxtail, Mad Max Beyond Eggdome

We were watching this guy named kevin garvin on one of the lesser cable channels last week. . .his cooking show is fairly entertaining. . .and he was doing his grandmother's oxtail stew. ..on the stove and in the oven of course, but it looked darn good and i thought. . .with a little egg and dizzy pig magic, that stuff would be really good. ...so i made a version sunday, with excellent results. .. .it was delicious, but be warned, eating ox tails takes a little work. ..there is a ring of fat around them, that even after five hours of cooking, you sort of have to peel back to get to the meat, which was beautifully tender and fell right off the tail bones. . ..

INGREDIENTS:

Procedure:
    1 The ingredients. ..about 3 pounds of ox tails, meaty tomatoes, celery, onions, carrots, dizzy cowlick, flour, chicken broth, and some white wine. .
    2 First, i put about 2 heaping tablespoons of dizzy cowlick in about 1/2 a cup of flour and dredged the oxtails in this, then shook them off . . .put in full load of lump and heated the egg up to 400 degrees, put my cast iron skillet directly on the grid, added olive oil, and proceeded to brown the meat on both sides
    3 After the meat was browned on both sides in the skillet, i moved the pieces to the grid for a couple of more minutes per side, while adding more to the skillet
    4 When all the meat was browned in the skillet and had their couple of minutes direct on the grill, i removed them, pulled out the skillet, then set up the egg indirect with grid on top of inverted plate setter and got the egg stable at 375 degrees dome temp.. .while the egg was stablizing, i cut up the vegetables in large chunks (you want to cut them up large, cause they are going to cook for 5 hours). . .for the tomatoes you want to cut and core them. . .arrange the vegetables in the bottom of a large pot (in this case my 9 quart le creuset)
    5 Now arrange the meat on top of the vegetables, add about 1 1/2 cups of white wine and enough chicken broth to cover the meat completely, salt and pepper to taste. . .then, into the egg for 5 hours. .. here it is right after going on the egg. .
    6 And here it is 5 hours later. . .you need a full load of lump, cause at 400 for the browning and 375 for the baking, you will eat up a full load pretty well. ..
    7 Here it is served up on a plate. ..(when you bring it in from the egg, there will be a fair amount of fat liquid on top. .. .use a large ladle to ladle and git rid of that prior to serving. . .the juice will then be excellent served on top of the meat and veggies and rissoto). . . ox tails, with the veggies, and i made up a rissoto which went really well with the meat. ...the family loved it. .. .and the egg add great flavor, especially to the tomatoes and the meat .. ..

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: mad max beyond eggdome

Source: BGE Forum, Mad Max Beyond Eggdome, 2005/04/05

11/04/07--Mad Max Update::If you're doing it on the stove .. leave the top on. .. .but you should be doing it in either a 375 degree oven or egg ...

When i serve it, i put one or two tails, bone and all, on the plate.... with the veggies on the side. ..if you try to take the meat off all the bones prior to serving, you will just have a pile of shredded meat. . .its designed to be served up as the same sections you started with ...

Here is one I know will work on BGE, just have not done it.

Beef, Oxtails

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Lbs Oxtails, Wash Dry, Season, Flour Dust
    2-3 Strips Bacon, Brown Slightly
    3-4 Onions, Chopped
    3-4 Tbs Parsley
    3-4 Carrots, Chopped, Large eggs
    2 Lemon Peels
    1-2 Bay Leafs
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    203 Stalks Celery, Diced tomatoes
    3-4 Potatos, Diced

Directions:
    1 In a dutch oven saute the ox tails in a little oil, add onions, parsley, carrots, bayleaf, lemon peels salt/pepper.
    2 Cover with water- bring to a boil, simmer 3 1/2 -4 hours covered. 20 minutes before done add celery and potatoes. Best if cooked day before and fat removed.

Recipe Type
    Beef, Dutch Oven, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: Richard Howe, 1997/05/25
  • EGGLANDS BEST
    Options
    thanks Richard I'll try this and see how it comes out
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Oxtail stew on the Egg is great! Recipe for this was similar to the above, results spectacular....

Oxtail.jpg
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Ken!! How are you? Haven't heard from you in a while. I hope all is well.
  • Deplesis
    Deplesis Posts: 215
    Options
    Coming into cold weather, that really looks good
    Thanks for the pix and the link to the recipe.
    Bob
  • EGGLANDS BEST
    Options
    Todd- i have been doing ok and how about yourself i didn't see you at the eggtoberfest were you not able to make it