Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vent Settings, a Visual Guide

Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please, Calibrate your dome thermometer, if you don't know how, ask.

There are many ways to reach any given temperature and any method is fine. I tend to use the lower vent for course temperature control and the DFMT to fine tune the final temperature.

Hopefully the following will give new users a head start in learning to control and stabilize their egg.

The following are settings on my Large. The setting for my medium, small and mini settings will vary somewhat.

A stable clean burn can be seen by looking at the dome pictures below. You want a clear or light blue smoke coming out of the egg.

265° Using 1/16” open lower vent
eggsettings265_1-16.jpg

315° Using 1/16” open lower vent
eggsettings315notop.jpg

The following have a larger lower vent opening

250°
eggsettings255.jpg

300°
eggsettings300.jpg

370°
eggsettings370.jpg

390°
eggsettings390.jpg

I need to open the lower vent to go higher. 450°

eggsettings455.jpg

GG

Comments

• Deplesis
    Deplesis Posts: 215
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing your pix. the titles are there, but no pix
    Thanks,
    Bob
  • Grandpas Grub

Bob,

I am seeing them on my screen, not sure what's up. Others can chime in and let you know if they see them.

GG
  • Pics are showing up on my screen.
  • I see the pics just fine
  • crabby
    crabby Posts: 19
    All the pics show for me.
  • They look good from here. Thanks for the remedial course Grandpa :)
    Jon
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    looks fine to me, thanks. it looks like you got a little rough with your screen.
  • Deplesis
    Deplesis Posts: 215
    The pix are showing up now.
    Thanks for the short course in temp control.
    Regards,
    Bob
  • EggTurner
    EggTurner Posts: 108
    The oics where fine but I am not sure of the time course. Do you let things build up to heat then go to the pictured settings or are you setting the lower vent early on?
  • Teach42
    Teach42 Posts: 219
    Do these look pretty similar to what most of you are doing?

I've usually got my lower vent open MUCH more than that. Wondering if I've been doing things wrong.

Only time I have my vent open that little is when I'm doing an overnight cook at 225-ish. Otherwise I usualy have it open more.

Curious to hear other opinions.

Regardless, thanks for the pics! Very helpful.
  • My lower draft door is open more, but at 450 or less it's still less than 1". With the exception of overnighters, I keep the daisy off altogether.
    from a recent cook:
    IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

and here's another, same temp:
    IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    that's a nickel I'm holding next to the door for scale.

so the low temp is consistent with GG
  • Grandpas Grub

Yup, it is the DigiQII blower adapter that is causing the tear.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

These settings were just after the start. In this case alcohol, (as with cubes, oil/paper towel).

I light the starter material with the bottom vent & screen full open and DFMT is off. Within 15 to 30 seconds I close the dome. There will be an initial increase in heat due to the flame from the starting material. Then there will be a fall off as the starting material burns off.

The the dome temperature will the begin to climb once again which is the lump burning on its own. Just before my desired temperature I begin to close down the lower vent, as shown in the pictures. The lower vent opening doesn't change much once you learn your egg.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

As I said above there are different ways one can reach a given temperature.

The top 2 pictures are with very small lower vent openings and the remaining pictures are with a wider open bottom vent.

The bottom vent can be wide open and one can control the low temperature with the DFMT only.

I use the lower vent for my main control, that way should the DFMT move, get bumped or moved my cook temperature won't change much.

Should one control the heat with only the DFMT and bottom vent full open, if the DFMT moves for some reason the heat can climb in a matter on minutes.

If your temperature is stable and at your desired cook heat, you are doing things right.

GG
  • grillking
    grillking Posts: 16
    Thanks Granpa I can see them nice and clearly.
  • JasonD
    JasonD Posts: 2
    I'll bite... how does one calibrate the dome thermometer?
  • pittphil
    pittphil Posts: 5
    thanks doing my first pork butt in the morning 6 lb, I have got the egg ready to go Grandpas I will use this advice on vent settings
  • Grillwino
    Grillwino Posts: 17

These settings were just after the start. In this case alcohol, (as with cubes, oil/paper towel).

I light the starter material with the bottom vent & screen full open and DFMT is off. Within 15 to 30 seconds I close the dome. There will be an initial increase in heat due to the flame from the starting material. Then there will be a fall off as the starting material burns off.

The the dome temperature will the begin to climb once again which is the lump burning on its own. Just before my desired temperature I begin to close down the lower vent, as shown in the pictures. The lower vent opening doesn't change much once you learn your egg.

GG

About how long does that whole process take? Specifically, after dome is shut, temp rises, then lowers, then starts to come back up? 5 mins, 20, 30 etc? Thanks much

• I'll bite... how does one calibrate the dome thermometer?
    Take it out of the egg and:

Boil water and place the tip of the thermo in the water (I use tongs) and look for 212 (depending on your altitude, it actually varies a few degrees so if you are anal about a few degrees google your town and boiling temps).

If you are not calibrated, take some pliers and adjust the nut (which turns the needle) on the back side of the thermo until it reads properly

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Check time stamp on posts...old thread.
  • Check time stamp on posts...old thread.
    Ha! Wasn't paying attn. I'm sure he has it figured out by now :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I'm still watching.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    This is an old thread, but should almost be a sticky if they had those here. It is very helpful. I was glad I saw it when I first came here.
  • dlosapio
    dlosapio Posts: 12
    Check time stamp on posts...old thread.
    Ha! Wasn't paying attn. I'm sure he has it figured out by now :))

Thanks for answering anyway, it helped me out.
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    Surely the vent opening/daisy wheel combination will dependent upon location of the egg/wind speed/airflow ..
    It's a good indication, but I'm certain that settings will be different to everyone depending on where they're at..
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Oh thanks so much for this!  Bookmarked!!
  • Titanman
    Titanman Posts: 30
    Thanks for the good information
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Hi All,
    I know this is an old thread (originally) but I was stoked to find it. I always seem to need my lower vent MUCH wider on my XL egg. I'm really confused. I just cleaned all the ash out of the bottom, so I don't think that should be impeding airflow. I seem to be going through a ton of lump and my fire keeps going out on overnights even with a much more open setup than this. Any other ideas?

My Egg is on an outside patio and the bottom is enclosed, will still air require a much wider vent (2-3") to pull air and hold temp?

Calibrating the thermo today but it can't be off by THAT much! I really appreciate getting great feedback from the folks here, I love cooking on the Egg, but I must admit to feeling some frustration and unrealized expectations.

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've had the dome thermo off by 50F. That was unusual, but it happens.

I doubt that the enclosure would make such a difference. I've cooked w.
    my Eggs half covered by snow, and just enough space near the bottom vent
    that I could slip my hand down to it. No cooking problem.

I don't think GG's images were from an XL. The XL has a slightly different shape than other Eggs, and may require a different air flow. For my mediums, they are good approximations of the settings. Perhaps someone who has an XL will comment.

Are you sure the opening at the bottom of the fire box is lined up w. the bottom vent? Have you used the Egg enough that there are deep piles of ash outside the round vent holes around the fire box? Both conditions will require larger vent openings than GG's post shows.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I've had the dome thermo off by 50F. That was unusual, but it happens.

I doubt that the enclosure would make such a difference. I've cooked w.
    my Eggs half covered by snow, and just enough space near the bottom vent
    that I could slip my hand down to it. No cooking problem.

I don't think GG's images were from an XL. The XL has a slightly different shape than other Eggs, and may require a different air flow. For my mediums, they are good approximations of the settings. Perhaps someone who has an XL will comment.

Are you sure the opening at the bottom of the fire box is lined up w. the bottom vent? Have you used the Egg enough that there are deep piles of ash outside the round vent holes around the fire box? Both conditions will require larger vent openings than GG's post shows.
    Just did the calibration and thermo was off by ~15C, which was more than I expected but not cataclysmic.

I did align the bottom opening/vent and have done a full clean with a shop vac to remove all dust & ash. I know the XL is a little different, but I'm just surprised how different it seems to be (thus far anyway). I'll keep bashing away at it, probably just a learning curve, I was just curious if there was something I was doing slightly wrong.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI