Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new wireless ACU-RITE thermometers arrived

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,889
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The PO delivered the two ACU-RITE wireless thermometers I bought last week from WOOT. At $12.95 they were cheap especially since I had recently paid $12 each JUST for some replacement probes!
IMG_0704.jpg
It was pointed out that day that the engineer who designed this probably didn't have a grasp of what people might like such as having a temp display on the receiver end so it could be monitored instead of suddenly hearing BEEP BEEP BEEP meaning your meat is done when you're inside deeply involved in some other activity! OTOH one feature that I've never seen in any of the 7 or maybe 8 brands of wireless thermometers I've owned is the simple digital clock when it's not being used as a timer/monitor/broadcaster. If nothing else iffin it goes bad I'll be left with yet another digital clock!!! After all my Nu Temp wireless died 8 years ago, but still works without a probe to accurately tell me the ambient outdoor temperature from the first floor porch clear up to my 2nd floor bedside a good 80 feet away - but it doesn't have a clue what temperature a meat probe is!!!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    It was pointed out that day that the engineer who designed this probably didn't have a grasp of what people might like such as having a temp display on the receiver end so it could be monitored instead of suddenly hearing BEEP BEEP BEEP meaning your meat is done when you're inside deeply involved in some other activity! OTOH one feature that I've never seen in any of the 7 or maybe 8 brands of wireless thermometers I've owned

I have a red-colored version of this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882170201&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Electronic+Gadgets-_-Oregon+Scientific-_-82170201 which does show the temperature. DH bought it for me after my first overnight when I kept waking him up when I went to check the pork butt :blush:
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • RRP
    Options
    see? the engineer who designed yours knew on which end to place the brains! OTOH I guess it's a trade off seeing mine was a cheap $12.99 vs yours. BTW since I already had a Taylor brand (I believe) with the monitor on the wrong end I figured out how to set the desired temp alert a few degrees lower than the final desired temp so it really did warn me in advance. In the mean time as I look down I see it is now 8:52 - though I have nothing on the egg so should I even care what time it is? LOL
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :ohmy: gee, thought my $40 I got for $20 was a good deal :blush:
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Does it allow you to set pull temp higher than 180?
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I goy mine last week and for the money it was a great deal.It will transmit about 30 feet further than my Maverick ET72 and a lot further than the unit that mkc has from Oregon Scientific which by the way looks just like a Weber and Radio Shack wireless that they sell.
  • RRP
    Options
    yes it does - in fact the full range of "desired temp" setting is from -14° to +392°. Not sure I want my meat at 392 internal :laugh: It's probably the range of the micro-chip purchased for peanuts by the thousands so to cut costs they used it!