Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT's/raw pork/pineapple head?

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm pretty sure this came up before and I believe it was AZRP that said he puts raw pork in his ABT's as it will be done due to the length and temp of cooking them.

My last ABT's, I cooked the breakfast links in a frying pan on the stove first, then cut sections out to put in the ABT's. This time I want to skin the links and either just mix them in the ABT's raw (usually cooked indirect, 375 for an hour to an hour and a half)

I'm guessing the pork should be done by that time. Any thoughts??? Also, how do you think a bit of canned pineapple would go with it using a bit of Dizzy Pig pineapple head rub???

Thanks,

Bordello

Comments

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    I use raw spicy italian sausage in some abt's and raw carne asada in others and they both cook fine.I am not big on sweet abt's,at the Socal eggfest there were cookie dough abt's that were great.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Bordello
    Options
    I know that at that temp they should should be fine and if only for me I could care less. :unsure: :laugh:

But I like to share and don't want to take any chances for others. The links I pre-cooked, I could also do that with the skinned links but I'm trying to save a step if not necessary.

I'm going to mastr these damn things yet. I've got the seeding thing down pretty good, now it's the bacon wrapping that is going to kill me. :whistle: :( :angry: :laugh:

I told my lady friends that when I get it down I want them to come help, production line style to do around 100 or so for the pub. :woohoo:

I will take tripple Blood Pressure pills for that.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Bordello....I don't see a problem with the raw (skinned) sausage except maybe a grease factor....but since you are already dealing with raw bacon, what's a bit more? LOL BT and I favor cooked beef prepared for tacos...you could do the same with the sausage... sauteee the inside, then drain, then stuff the peppers. Just my two cents! :whistle: But honestly, that is the 'gift' of food....experiment!! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but you don't know till you try. ;)
    As far as the pineapple, well...just not my cup of tea, but could lend a nice sweet side to the poppers! If you do it, please post the results!! Again, nothing wrong with a few experiments!! (who woulda thunk a Hawiian pizza would be good?? And FYI...I still dont!) :laugh: Seriously now...you can give it a try! :) Keep us posted!! :);)
  • Bordello
    Options
    Dear L.C.,
    As always thanks for your input, maybe a few min. of sauteeing (sp?) and drain as you suggested. As far as the pineapple goes I was only thinking of a small piece just to give the flavor a boost.

Actually I wish I had a bit of rum to soak the pineapple in first but can't seem to keep it around. The darn stuff lends itself to evaporation so quikly. :woohoo:

To bad you and BT are not around to help me keep an eye on it, :woohoo: :woohoo: or at least keep an eye on me. :whistle:

Hi to the Big Guy for me.

Oh, do you like your ABT's whole, boats or???

Thanks Michelle,
    Bordello
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Bordello...You are more than welcome my dear Sir!! ;) We usually put our ABT's back together so they look whole, but hey....if the 'boats' work for you, they go twice as far!!! :woohoo: ;)
    BT and I have a similar problem in this house....but we always said we had thirsty ice cubes!! :woohoo: :laugh: :silly: :laugh: :whistle: We figure we will go with a different brand name when we get our new fridge, and hopefully that will solve the problem! :laugh: :silly: :blink: Either that or it's the damn cats! :blink: :blush:
    Best to you my friend!!! :)
  • Bordello
    Options
    :silly:
    Thank you SOoooooooo much L.C., I'm so sorry to hear you're having the thirsty ice problem but I do like the fact that you have pin pointed the problem.

While I'm sure you wish to have the problem solved I'm hoping for the sake of both of you that it won't happen. See what a great friend I can be. :whistle: :cheer: :silly:

I really want all the good company I can get, you and the Big Guy fit right in. :woohoo: Welcome to my world. :evil:

My Best,
    Bordello

Went to get coffee this moring, they know me so no big thing. :silly: Well, till I told the gal this.

Violets are blue, Roses are red but it's with thee that I wish to be bred.

I think she is sill shaking her head. :woohoo:
  • Emarf
    Emarf Posts: 167
    Options
    pineapple and cream cheese is one we like a lot
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    That's an interesting twist on ABT's Bob. I don't think I personally would do the pork raw, it would be a little too much grease for me. The Jimmy Dean's maple sausage that comes in bulk in the tubes would be great if you're mixing pineapple in.
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    I like to pre-cook the sausage to remove as much grease as I can as cholesterol is an issue for mea as well. :blink: I happen to like pineapple on them so it possible others at your gathering will as well. I have also enjoyed them with a little bit of diced Pear on them. Just a toudh of sweet with the saltiness is good. Let us know how they turn out. :whistle: