Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini multiple pizza help

WWSis
WWSis Posts: 1,448
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had great luck with pizzas on my large...and if only doing one or two on the mini, also good luck. Problem is when I do multiples on the mini... pizza night w/ friends...a Friday night when people randomly show up in my garage :) ...back to the problem: my temp reading is 400 or so - first two pies fine - but all other crusts are burnt. I think my stone gets too hot (hotter than what my temp is reading...)nd then nothing can be done?? Any input would be appreciated. :blink: :blink:

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Good morning :)I think it is because we are opening and closing the little guy so many time that it is getting tons of air so it is just going full tilt :) so she gets hotter and hotter.
  • WWSis
    thanks julie, that makes sense...Any advice, other than the obvious--don't open and close so many times? Glad your are safely home from your egg pilgrimage! Sounds like everyone had fun. Mark, Thea, Dave and I are considering Florida in march!
  • is your setup the same on the mini as it is with the large?

my setup for pizza on the large is my legs down p-setter, 3 copper elbows on top of the p-setter with the pizza stone on top of those 3 copper elbows. i do that for more even heat dispersion.

i am assuming when you cook your pizza on the mini you may be using a pizza stone directly over the fire, in which case your pizza stone may eventually, over multiple cooks, be getting super hot. hence the burnt crust on subsequent pizzas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    dont have a mini, but have you tried wiping the stone with a damp towel before putting the pie on. i cook pies on the large up to 1200, the trick was to use a deep pan full of sand under the stone to buffer the heat a bit, maybe that would help with the mini as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mainegg
    first off you HAVE to come to Fl in march!!! We will all be there and I would love to talk to you about your brother :whistle:
    now do you have the "mini kim woo"? if not get it lol it really helps the spacing on the mini.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Great idea on any egg but the Mini. The vertical space is tight on the Mini. I use the stainless ring for the Mini that TJV makes. It will hold a second pizza stone just below the top stone as a buffer but still very tight. I don't have a photo to post but others were doing this way before me. I think the damp cloth idea is a winner. I have seen your past posts of your 1200 degree pizza cooks. Your a mad man...
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    I don't have a good photo with me.
    Can you post one of yours?
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WWSis
    I have a mini woo with second pizza stone in it for heat deflection - as you suggest, maybe something else. I will try wiping the stone too, that sounds like a good idea. Thanks!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    When I am cooking pizzas on the mini I use the pizza stones from Amazon and the Mini Kim woo...

one trick I learned is do not put the second pizza stone on the mini until you are ready to put your first pie in to cook. This way that second stone does not get as hot..

also always make the pie just a little smaller than the stone so the edges of the crust don't burn

and I also cook my mini pies on a pizza screen..

hopefully these 3 tips help...
  • WWSis
    I'll see what I can do, julie...gotta keep the pressure on him! Hehe. I do have the mini kim woo--it definately helps, but like you said, I think increasing temps do me in. I will try wiping my stones as was suggested.
  • WWSis
    Kim, thanks - all three great tips. I have the mini Kim woo setup too- are you saying you put a small screen on top of the top stone?
  • vidalia1
    Julia,

Yes when we make the mini pies we put them on a pizza screen and then place the screen on the top stone. The crust gets crispy and I don't have to mess with cornmeal or parchment paper..I like easy.. ;)
  • WWSis
    Kim, did you buy your mini screen (if so where) or make it?
  • Mainegg
    017-1.jpg
    I have some heavy duty foil crumbled under this one.
    023.jpg
    this shows the screens I use a little anyways lol pretty covered with pizza :whistle:
  • vidalia1
    I bought 3 of them at Restaurant Depot. They are the 8". Also Air Bake makes mini screens but i have not found them...
  • fishlessman
    i need a mini to experiment on :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Photo Egg
    Sure you do...1200 degree pizza on a Mini.
    You might make news at 10 in the big city. LOL
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    has to be less stressfull opening a 1200 degree mini than a 1200 degree large :lol: wonder if the mini will get that hot, some sizes dont :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

• vidalia1
    I know the mini can get up to 800 pretty easliy...I haven't gotten it to 1200....yet.. :blink:
  • I don't know about screens or airbake pans, but I learned on here that when doing multiple Pizzas you should wipe the stone with a damp towel/cloth to keep the stone from getting too hot.