Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

blasted daisy wheel

Options
GreenEggLover
GreenEggLover Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I'm new - have used my large egg about 4 times...have 2 beer butt chickens on it right now in fact..
have built an awesome table for it that keeps it right perfect working height..

BUT..how do you keep that stupid daisy wheel cover - or the ceramic one for that matter -from falling off when you open it all the way...It's a real pain the behind to have to walk down off the deck and around to get it...

Thanks!

Comments

• StoicDude
    Options
    Mine fell off and the middle piece broke. Luckily the warranty covered it. This is on a mini.
    I know that Grill Dome has screws in their adjustable tops in order for them not to fall off. If this is a common occurrence a screw should fix the problem.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    line up the bolt head in the middle with the bolt head that holds it on and draw an imaginary line so that the line is perpendicular to the rear bracket and it will never fall open again if you line it up every time.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Paul...You can also run a piece of high temp gasket material around the "chimnea" part of the egg. The daisy wheel will never fall off, and it helps make a perfect seal with the green cap to snuff out the fire. I also agree completely with the above post...put the screw (pivot point) lined up with the dome handle. :)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    here - read number 39 for pictures.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#dwinfo
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi Paul
    I dont know why yours is falling off? I have had mine a
    year and never a problem. Having said that I believe you. My only recommendation is, All due respect to a
    previous comment, Never ever drill into the ceramic of the big green egg. You could, like little chef said, use
    just a touch of high heat gasket adhesive, just enough to keep wheel in place. only problem is that is iron and
    exposed to moisture, it WILL rust. So you might have to keep it covered. Other than that good luck. Bullyc
  • GreenEggLover
    Options
    I like the gasket idea....thanks for all the tips!