Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How linear is the dome thermometer?

Options
The Carrot
The Carrot Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey there...[p]Just got through some "trial runs" on the Egg (grilled, black pepper encrusted portabello mushroom sandwiches with blue cheese dressing), but ran into an interesting problem: After calibration in boiling water, the precision thermometer (i.e. the dome thermometer) settles down to around 100 degrees F at room temperature (and it ain't quite that hot inside). I've tried a couple of calibration cycles, and it always hits the 212 mark spot on, but never comes down past 100 inside. (Outside, in about 55 degree weather, it did drop down to around 80.)[p]Not too worried about the extreme low end, but does anyone have a feel for how linear this thing is? (Don't want to end up doing a 450 degree session at 600...) I remember that a friend's thermometer seemed to read much closer to ambient outdoor temperature.[p]Thanks much...
The ("damn, it's hot in here") Carrot

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    The Carrot,[p]As a spring based thermomter used for general purposes, it is quite good. The readout is marked in equally spaced graduations. It is inaccurate below 125F. IMHO, It is most useful in the ranges used for cooking.[p]Of course, much better accuracy (and range) can be had with much more expensive temperature measuring devices.[p]Spin
  • Nu-Guy
    Nu-Guy Posts: 136
    Options
    The Carrot,
    I've went thru the same routine with the same results. Mine also reads around 100 or so when it's 50 to 60 degrees outside. I've done the calibration thing a number of times also. I know this doesn't answer your question, but you're not alone on the issue.
    NG

• The first thermometer that I bought from a BGE dealer was replaced by BGE for that reason.

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    The Carrot,
    I don't think I've ever seen my dome temp below 120F.
    JimW

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    The Carrot,[p]Just to play devils advocate based on your responses...[p]Let's say we assume the thermometer is not accurate below 100 degrees F. We can safely assert this since we know what it feels like when it's 100 outside, it doesn't feel like that now, yet the thermometer insists it's 100. We are probably correct in asserting it's not accurate at those temps.[p]However, on what grounds do our assertions that it IS accurate for cooking temps (say between 150 and 500)? None of us have ever experienced those temps and we're working with a device which we know is not accurate for at least some temps (below 100).[p]Maybe we've been cooking along at some mystery temps which incorrectly translate to between 150 and 500 on our thermometers![p]Quick...someone call Mulder and Scully...[p]The truth is out there,
    Cornfed

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Cornfed,
    I think it's generally accepted the dome temp runs about 25-30 degress above grill temp. I know mine does because I used a good oven thermometer to check it out. I only closely checked it at 300F. I've no idea what the value is for 200F because I rarely cook at that temp. At 450F or above, what's a few degrees among friends?
    JimW

• Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]I thought I was burning my Q up once until I realized my thermometer was set to read Kelvin. :-)[p]Brant