Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Totally OT and Random post

Options
Crimsongator
Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My sweet wife just got home from bringing our oldest to the doctor. I have one more day and if I don't feel better, I am going. So anyway she brought home some Krispy Kreme donughts to help cheer me up (and make me more rotund).

My favorite donut is a Krispy Kreme Blueberry Cake (close second is a fresh hot apple fritter). What is yours?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Must be that new egg. ;)
    Mine is strawberry cheesecake! Nice job Gene.

Mike
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I like the oldfashoned donuts (aka sourcream donuts) that kind of pop open on top, with plain white icing.

The ones from Dunkin' Donuts are not bad at all.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Unfortunately I love them all...but
    Krispy Kreme bread pudding w Jack Daniels whiskey sauce is amazing...and thank goodness I do not have the recipe... :S :huh:
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    When we lived in Memphis, there was a place called Daylight donuts. (maybe firetruck will tell us if it's still there) They had some like that. Their apple fritters were the best. We would go there on Sat. AM's with the boys and each would get a fresh hot donut.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i'm a purist. ..i go for the original plain KKs ....second are the jelly filled. ..

but nothing, and i do mean NOTHING beats going to the KK store when the "HOT DONUT" light is lit and buying a box of the fresh hot donuts and eating them right there on site when they are piping hot. . .. damn things melt in your mouth. .. .

uh oh . . .i'm feeling a field trip coming on!!!! damn you gene!!!! my endocronologist is gonna be pissed at me again!!!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    dd is my favorite too, the old fashioned with the handle, no frosting though. krispykreme is just sugar fluff to me, i just want a plain dunking style donut
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    Much like beer, the one I have in my hand at any given time is my favorite!! B) If I get to pick, it would have to be the chocolate ice custard filled. Good thing I'm not on my diet this week.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Your wife could be ready to change the locks and if you bring a hot KK donut to her, all is well in the world.

I wonder if a hot KK could pry the browine recipe from spawn.....hhhhmmmmm
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LOL . .. we've been known to throw the entire family in the car and head to KK for the "lit sign" ...in fact last time we did it was for the spawn's birthday. .. it was her b-day wish. . .we have one about 1/2 hour from the house. .. .thank god its no closer than that!!!
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    You could help the endocrinologist to retire if it was closer :whistle:
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    cream filled!!!

as in boston cream filled ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    nah, he'd have to work longer, cause i'd be dead earlier and he'd have to find a new patient!!!
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    Gene,

The next time you are going through Cullman, AL early in the morning stop by the Duchess Bakery for a dozen dougnuts and let me know how you like them. They only make so many each day and usually run out at some point so it is best to go by early. They are excellent!

ps. Great to meet you at Eggtoberfest!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding with Jack Daniel's-Raisin Sauce

Serves 6 to 8

There's a popular Krispy Kreme bread pudding down south that contains both honey-glazed doughnuts and sweetened condensed milk, but as much as I love sweets, this one sets my teeth on edge. So I've come up with a version that's a tad less sinful. The only doughnuts to use are the original honey-glazed Krispy Kremes. And they should be at least two days old. Note: This pudding puffs majestically as it bakes, hence the need for a 2½-quart baking dish. Rush it to the table just as you would a soufflé. If you're not in the mood for the sauce, top the pudding with fresh berries or thinly sliced fresh peaches and a trickle of milk or cream.

Ingredients:

2½ cups milk
    3 large eggs
    1⁄3 cup raw or granulated sugar
    ¼ cup Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey, dark rum, or brandy
    ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    6 dry honey-glazed Krispy Kreme doughnuts, broken into 1-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
    Jack Daniel's-Raisin Sauce (page 284)
    Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350° F. Thoroughly butter a 2½-quart soufflé dish or straight-sided casserole and set aside.

Whisk the milk, eggs, sugar, whiskey, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl until well combined. Add the doughnuts, toss lightly, and let stand for 10 minutes.

Scoop all into the soufflé dish, spreading to the edge and smoothing the top.

Slide the soufflé dish onto the middle oven shelf and bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed, lightly browned, and set like custard.

Serve at once with Jack Daniel's-Raisin Sauce.

The foregoing is excerpted from A Love Affair with Southern Cooking by Jean Anderson. All rights reserved. No part of this book may be used or reproduced without written permission from HarperCollins Publishers, 10 East 53rd Street, New York, NY 10022
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    You have good tastes in doughnuts- those would be my faves as well.

I was in Vancouver last week and got to my first Tim Horton's - still waiting for the rapture...
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Krispi Kreme original fresh out of the grease :P
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I like the apple fritters from daylight. Are they still in Bartlett?
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    OK, I will have to remember that.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I will have to go with Apple Fritters as well.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I love crispy apple fritters, but if sugar-coma is what your looking for, then warm Krispy Kreme glazed.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is another use for them.

Dessert, Pudding, Bread, Blueberry Donut, Richard Fl.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Dozen Blueberry Cake Day Old Donuts
    1 14 Ozs Can Sweetened Condensed Milk (not evaporated)
    1 Cup Eggnog
    1 Cup Milk
    2 Small Cans Mandarin Oranges
    4 eggs, beaten
    1 9 Ozs Box Raisins, Soaked in Rum, Save rum for sauce
    1 pinch salt
    1-2 Tsp Ground cinnamon
    Butter Rum Sauce:
    1 Stick Butter
    1 lb box confectioners' sugar
    Rum, to taste, Used remains from soaking raisins about 1 cup

Preparation
    1 Preheat or oven to 350 degrees F.
    2 Cube donuts into a large bowl. Soak raisins in bourbon or rum, couple of hours, drain. Save rum for sauce. Pour all ingredients on top of donuts and let soak for a few minutes. Mix all ingredients together until donuts have soaked up the liquid as much as possible. If mixture is very dry add little more milk or another egg.
    3 Bake for about 1 hour until center has jelled. Top with Butter Rum Sauce. Used 2 9x9 inch aluminum pans 1 1/2 inch deep.
    Butter Rum Sauce:
    1 Melt butter and slowly stir in confectioners' sugar. Add rum and heat until bubbly. Pour over each serving of Bread Pudding.

Servings: 12
    Preparation time: 10 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour

Recipe Type
    Dessert

Recipe Source
    Source: Richard Fl, 2008/12/12

Ended up pouring the sauce recipe over the cooled containers and let it absorb. Decided that was great however, it was very sweet and heavy rum alcohol. Next batch will be 8 ozs sugar and 1/4 cup rum.

Got the basic recipe from a Paula Deen Krispy Kreme donut recipe.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    There are never a day old dozen left in our house :cheer: