Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin for New Years in NC...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Probably have a couple people over for new years and I have a 3/4 beef tenderloin roast. Can't decide, should I cut into filets or cook as a roast....Need some good recipes for a tenderloin roast...Otherwise, it's filets, which are always good.
Thanks,
Richard Price

Comments

• Richard Price,
    Try the limk below, it's the best tenderlion I've ever egged.
    B D

[ul][li]Tenderlion[/ul]
  • Richard Price,
    Do the drunk and dirty from the archives. We recently cooked this and it was phenomenal.Cut the thick part for a roast and make the rest into steaks, you won't be dissapointed.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired,[p]I searched the archives for Drunk and Dirty and got a lot of comments, but no recipe...any other links to a recipe for this would be appreciated.[p]Thanks,
    RP

• We cooked two stuffed tenderloins for 14 people for Christmas, and all 14 people raved about it. Instead of broiling, as in Drunk & Dirty, we smoked ours at 200 degrees to an internal temp of 150. It took about 3.5 hours, but the egg help a steady temp throughout, so it was easy to do. Here's how we did it:[p]Fire: We used standard BGE lump charcoal, but to that, we added a large bowl of mesquite chips soaked in Cabernet (I know, I know, but it was Christmas)for a couple of hours. After the coals reached a stable temp, we added the mesquite directly to the coals and allowed that to reach 200 before adding tghe meat.[p]Stuffing: We mix crumbled blue cheese (Maytag), sauteed mushrooms, sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic, and anything elsr that looks good. This is a season to taste thing, as we've never measured. Blue cheese is the dominant flavor, and the sour cream is used primarily to give the mix an easier consistency to stuff into the meat.[p]Meat: we grill it as is, but you may prefer to use a meat rub or garlic on the outside. Cut a pocket in the roast and stuff that full of the mix. Use butcher's string to tie it back together (tightly, but don't tear the meat). When the Egg is at 200, place the meat on with the pocket up, shut the grill, and go do something else. [p]We use a remote meat thermometer to determine when the internal temp reaches 150 (with the pocket, it'll be cooked more in the center than you woulr traditionally expect) then we remove the meat and let it rest for 10-15 minutes. We slice it into steak sized slices and serve. Purists insist that the meat should be cut as served, but we just slice and go, and it's fine.
  • Richard Price, This absolutely rocks, been doing it for 5 years now...[p]Best recipe I ever found...thanks to epicurious...I've been preparing this for 4 years now, will do it on the egg for the first time this year. [p]I modify it sometimes by using wild mushrooms, or wine for the port, or anything else I want to throw in for the gravy. This is a great base.[p]BEEF TENDERLOIN WITH ROASTED SHALLOTS, BACON AND PORT [p]
    Pour a full-bodied red wine, such as a Bordeaux, Merlot or
    Cabernet Sauvignon. [p]
    1 1/2 pounds large shallots (about 24), halved lengthwise,
    peeled
    3 tablespoons olive oil[p]6 cups canned beef broth
    1 1/2 cups tawny Port
    1 tablespoon tomato paste[p]2 3- to 3 1/4-pound beef tenderloins (large ends), trimmed
    2 teaspoons dried thyme
    7 bacon slices, chopped
    6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
    1 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour[p]1 large bunch watercress [p]
    Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375F. In
    9-inch-diameter pie pan, toss shallots with oil to coat.
    Season with salt and pepper. Roast until shallots are deep
    brown and very tender, stirring occasionally, about 30
    minutes.[p]Boil broth and Port in large saucepan until reduced to 3
    3/4 cups, about 30 minutes. Whisk in tomato paste.
    (Shallots and broth mixture can be made 1 day ahead. Cover
    separately; chill.)[p]Pat beef dry; sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. In
    large roasting pan set over medium heat, saute bacon until
    golden, about 4 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer
    bacon to paper towels. Add beef to pan; brown on all sides
    over medium-high heat, about 7 minutes. Transfer pan to
    oven; roast beef until meat thermometer inserted into
    center registers 125F for medium-rare, about 45 minutes.
    Transfer beef to platter. Tent loosely with foil.[p]Spoon fat off top of pan drippings in roasting pan. Place
    roasting pan over high heat. Add broth mixture and bring to
    boil, scraping up any browned bits. Transfer to medium
    saucepan; bring to simmer. Mix 3 tablespoons butter and
    flour in small bowl to form smooth paste; whisk into broth
    mixture and simmer until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.
    Whisk in 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in roasted shallots and
    reserved bacon. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Cut beef
    into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Spoon some sauce over. Garnish
    with watercress. Pass remaining sauce. [p]Serves 12.[p][p]